Sleeping 10 month Horsfield Tortoise

Charlotteandherbert

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hello! I bought home a baby Horsfield Tortoise yesterday, he was very active and ate for England.

Today is has slept all day, not moved or eating. I pick him up and hold him a few times and he looks at me then closes his eyes.

i thought I would give him a luke warm bath, he fell asleep in the bath.

try to encourage him to eat, but he’s not hungry, and now just gone back into his hide and sleeping again.
Is this normal??

Attachments

• F4253838-8C17-4498-AB28-AEEDB71C9492.jpeg
    F4253838-8C17-4498-AB28-AEEDB71C9492.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 29

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello! I bought home a baby Horsfield Tortoise yesterday, he was very active and ate for England.

Today is has slept all day, not moved or eating. I pick him up and hold him a few times and he looks at me then closes his eyes.

try to encourage him to eat, but he’s not hungry, and now just gone back into his hide and sleeping again.
Is this normal??
Welcome from Devon to you and Herbert. He looks very cute.Baby tortoises really sleep a lot - and often don't eat for a few days when in a new place .He was quite brave to eat like that when you first got him. I think you would be
best just leaving him to settle down - and don't pick him up or handle him - he will be getting much more active again in a few days. You could put some food close to his hide to encourage him to come out when he feels ready.
Angie

Charlotteandherbert

United Kingdom
Welcome from Devon to you and Herbert. He looks very cute.Baby tortoises really sleep a lot - and often don't eat for a few days when in a new place .He was quite brave to eat like that when you first got him. I think you would be
best just leaving him to settle down - and don't pick him up or handle him - he will be getting much more active again in a few days. You could put some food close to his hide to encourage him to come out when he feels ready.
Angie
Thank you angie! That’s really helpful.

I have utterly fallen in love with him, it is my first time having a tortoise and I’m so worried about him and constantly seeing if he is ok, so I think you are right, I need to leave him alone and let him settle. I bet he’s thinking “will this silly women leave me alone”! I will leave the food and put fresh food tomorrow so there is somthing there for when he is ready.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome. Please check your set up and read this care sheet written by a breeder. They love to burrow into the substrate and sleep alot can be 18 hours in a day. Ensure temp, heat, light, humidity , substrate is as it should be and you will have a smooth shelled healthy tort.
Feel free to ask questions.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you angie! That’s really helpful.

I have utterly fallen in love with him, it is my first time having a tortoise and I’m so worried about him and constantly seeing if he is ok, so I think you are right, I need to leave him alone and let him settle. I bet he’s thinking “will this silly women leave me alone”! I will leave the food and put fresh food tomorrow so there is somthing there for when he is ready.
How has Herbert been today? Do you have a water dish out for him ? You might want to put one near his hide.
I know how you feel about worrying over him, but give him a bit of time. Everyone worries at first ,I think - we certainly did - and ours is 21 now, and I still worry, even though he is very healthy and lively!
Best wishes from Angie

Jan A

Boulder, CO
How has Herbert been today? Do you have a water dish out for him ? You might want to put one near his hide.
I know how you feel about worrying over him, but give him a bit of time. Everyone worries at first ,I think - we certainly did - and ours is 21 now, and I still worry, even though he is very healthy and lively!
Best wishes from Angie
Exactly, zolosmom. We worry, worry, worry. This will never change. But it's why we're here on TF!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Is this normal??
Share with us your temperatures, substrate. type of UV bulb, etc..., and we can tell you if there are any problems that would cause lethargy. Pet shops tend to give terrible advice and sell the wrong products. For example, the wrong type of UV bulb can burn their eyes and make them want to hide from the painful light all day.

Charlotteandherbert

United Kingdom
Share with us your temperatures, substrate. type of UV bulb, etc..., and we can tell you if there are any problems that would cause lethargy. Pet shops tend to give terrible advice and sell the wrong products. For example, the wrong type of UV bulb can burn their eyes and make them want to hide from the painful light all day.
Here’s the set up

Attachments

• 4BEF3B62-1CA9-4AA2-AFF1-3D4727F6ACF4.jpeg
    4BEF3B62-1CA9-4AA2-AFF1-3D4727F6ACF4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
  • 585D8108-8760-4289-8A8A-EFF59D5899E2.jpeg
    585D8108-8760-4289-8A8A-EFF59D5899E2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here’s the set up
Here is what I see that needs improvement:
1. The coir needs to be firmly hand packed. Its too loose like that.
2. There needs to be a basking rock under the heat lamp.
3. The heat lamp alone isn't enough light. You need some additional LED lighting in there.
4. MVBs shouldn't be used over growing babies. Switch to an incandescent flood bulb for basking and a HO tube for UV.
5. That water bowl is unsuitable and dangerous. Swap it out for a terra cotta saucer and sink it into the substrate.
6. You didn't tell us your temperatures. Warm side, cool side, basking area, overnight low.

More here:

Charlotteandherbert

United Kingdom
Here is what I see that needs improvement:
1. The coir needs to be firmly hand packed. Its too loose like that.
2. There needs to be a basking rock under the heat lamp.
3. The heat lamp alone isn't enough light. You need some additional LED lighting in there.
4. MVBs shouldn't be used over growing babies. Switch to an incandescent flood bulb for basking and a HO tube for UV.
5. That water bowl is unsuitable and dangerous. Swap it out for a terra cotta saucer and sink it into the substrate.
6. You didn't tell us your temperatures. Warm side, cool side, basking area, overnight low.

More here:
Thanks Tom! Really helpful

I grow indoor plants so there is a UV light on him in the day.

I will deffo change the water bowl, thank you.

regarding the coir, I cannot compact this anymore. I actually don’t like it as it seems to go in his eyes. Can you recommend somthing else I can use?

Regarding basking rock, what do you recommend? Iv done some research and Russian/horsfield tortoise don’t use anything for basking in the wild, if you can advise?

temperatures are perfect, and he’s more active now he has settled

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA

regarding the coir, I cannot compact this anymore. I actually don’t like it as it seems to go in his eyes. Can you recommend somthing else I can use?

Regarding basking rock, what do you recommend? Iv done some research and Russian/horsfield tortoise don’t use anything for basking in the wild, if you can advise?

I use reptibark on top of coco coir and a piece of slate like the ones used for patios under my heat light.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Plants don't need UV. It can actually "burn" them in some cases. Plants need light. Not UV.

Your coir is loose. It needs to be dampened and hand packed. It will offer better footing and be less messy that way. You can use fine grade orchid bark if you prefer. Either is great.

What do you mean they don't use anything for basking in the wild? They bask wherever and whenever they want in the wild. In our enclosures, the flat rock helps to set the temp correctly and also offers a basking area to lay on. Any sort of flat rock will do. Sand stone and slate are commonly used.

Charlotteandherbert

United Kingdom
Thanks Tom, really helpful.

you know you mentioned my water bowls where dangerous, why is that? And why do you recommend terracotta?

I am new tortoise owner so any information is helpful

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom, really helpful.

you know you mentioned my water bowls where dangerous, why is that? And why do you recommend terracotta?

I am new tortoise owner so any information is helpful
Hello from Angie - the reason your water bowls are dangerous is that having a rim like that means that a little tortoise has to climb up to reach the water, and may fall in and drown, struggling to get out on the slippery sides. The terracotta bowls have a slightly rough texture, so the tortoise can get a grip on the surface better. So the best thing to do is to have the bowl sunk into the substrate so the rim is just above the substrate, and the tortoise can just walk in and out of the water, and also will feel safer because its feet can grip better. It will be a bit more messy, of course !
Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello again - looking at your photo of Herbert's enclosure, I realise I should have made it clear what shape of water container you need - it should be a shallow saucer shape- you can get terra cotta ones that are for putting under flower pots - that way Herbie can get in and out easily.
How is Herbie getting on?
Angie