Sleeping--A lot

Vinnie_the_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Hey All!
So I have had my tortoise at home for about 24 hours now and he is sleeping a lot. As soon as we got him home yesterday at about four he went right to bed and was asleep until 7 am this morning. And now he is sleeping again. Is this normal? In the time where he was awake he ate and moved a lot.
Is he trying to hibernate? I am a very inexperienced tortoise owner so what should I do? I don't want him to hibernate...is there a way to prevent him from hibernating?
Or is this all just normal first day behavior?
Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just a word of advice:

When you start a new thread it is a good idea to give us a bit more info about you and your tortoise. With so many members we can't always remember from one thread to the next what kind of tortoise you are talking about.

Sophy is talking about her new Russian tortoise.

Vinnie_the_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Okay thanks guys! Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm just being paranoid about it....you know him being new and all.
I will give you guys updates later on and let you know if I have any other questions. And I will make sure to specify my tortoise a bit more (size, breed etc.)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just in case. Keep,the lights on for 14 hours and make sure it's bright enough. Also, keeping the temps just a little warmer at night will help to keep him awake, in are he is wanting to hibernate (brumate)