Sleeping Sulcata, New Enclosure

Tortoise Pierre

Location (City and/or State)
Dana Point
Hi there!

So I have built this outdoor enclosure for my sulcata. I live in Southern California where the departures have been nice and warm lately, but I still have a CHE and basking bulb inside the wood enclosure. The CHE stays on 24/7 for the temperatures to remain a good temperature at night as well.

Since I put him in here though, two days ago, he has been sleeping for a good majority of the day, more than normal, in front of his wood little house like in the second picture.

Is this normal? Is his soaking today he usually tries to escape, but I think that's more because I kept the water warm which makes him content.

I have read all of Tom's threads too.

Thank you!

Attachments

• la foto 1.JPG
    la foto 1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
  • la foto 2.JPG
    la foto 2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 67

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Once a tort has a secure setting they seem to calm a bit...however, I would seriously revisit the enclosure walls, those little fence things are no match for a tortoise in a mood.....perhaps bricks a few high....(if you use the red brick type, if you use a cinder block size then one high for now will work....)...just the first thing that stood out to me...

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Torts do nothing but sleep, that is way they live for so long. My little sulcata also sleep a lot when he was little. At 7 inches now, still sleep a lot.

Tortoise Pierre

Dana Point
The wall is very, very temporary. We are building a little stone retaining wall about a foot high and four inches wide. This was just until we could get the stone in.

Thank you guys!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises are territorial. You've moved him out of the territory he was used to and placed him in a new territory. He's now afraid. Its going to take a couple weeks for him to realize he's in a safe place. I agree with Angela. If he wanted to and really tried, he would be able to get over that fence.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yep, tortoises sleep a lot! They take a while to re-establish their space. Yes, he could climb it :( It's also better to have something they can't see through, because then they can't see the 'other side' of the big yard he wants to be in.