Sleeping Torty

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
A question for you'll. All Torty does is eat and sleep. In the morning, I put him in front of his food dish which he devours and than walks back into it's hut and goes back to sleep. I dont see him going out to bask at all so I take it out to my lawn for about 30 minutes to bask under the sun. He is very healthy and is being treated for worms. He easts fine, walks quick but just sleeps all day, is this normal behaviour?

sammi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Hes younger, so its normal for them to sleep a lot. Then again, he IS on medication, so this could affect him too. Animals [and humans too] will act differently when on medication, it could be affecting his stomach/mood. But he may need something to stimulate him in his cage. Also, I remember your enclosure only had one hide, and this might be an issue too. He has no other place to hide from the light, and it may be bothering him, and his log is the only place he can go to get away from the light. Try some new things out, you'll figure out what it is. Those are just MO of what they could possibly be.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
One thing I'd like to add is he needs time to settle in.
Many new owners make the mistake of constantly checking on their new acquisition almost non stop which can be very stressful. Feed him, soak him and then leave him alone for the day. You have plenty of time to "get to know him" so just relax and give the animal time to settle in and settle down.

samstar

5 Year Member
sammi said:
Hes younger, so its normal for them to sleep a lot. Then again, he IS on medication, so this could affect him too. Animals [and humans too] will act differently when on medication, it could be affecting his stomach/mood. But he may need something to stimulate him in his cage. Also, I remember your enclosure only had one hide, and this might be an issue too. He has no other place to hide from the light, and it may be bothering him, and his log is the only place he can go to get away from the light. Try some new things out, you'll figure out what it is. Those are just MO of what they could possibly be.

I just ordered a medium size Boston fern leaves so waiting for that to come in. I dont think it's the medicine as today he ate very well and than I put him in my lawn under the sun to graze which he also did.

Luvthemtorts said:
One thing I'd like to add is he needs time to settle in.
Many new owners make the mistake of constantly checking on their new acquisition almost non stop which can be very stressful. Feed him, soak him and then leave him alone for the day. You have plenty of time to "get to know him" so just relax and give the animal time to settle in and settle down.

It has been a week or two tops since I got him so I guess it will take a couple more weeks to settle in fully.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Samstar,
I imagine with the aquistion, attention and worming it will take a while for him to settle in well. Just be patient and give him time to get into the groove of things there.
You'd be surpised how many well meaning owners have actually stressed their new animals to the point of illness by too much attention. Believe me I know its tempting but try not to disturb the tortoise as little as possible for a week or two after the final round of Panacur and you'll be rewarded with a well adjusted animal.

samstar

5 Year Member
Luvthemtorts said:
Samstar,
I imagine with the aquistion, attention and worming it will take a while for him to settle in well. Just be patient and give him time to get into the groove of things there.
You'd be surpised how many well meaning owners have actually stressed their new animals to the point of illness by too much attention. Believe me I know its tempting but try not to disturb the tortoise as little as possible for a week or two after the final round of Panacur and you'll be rewarded with a well adjusted animal.

Fair enough. I shall give Torty undivided attention.

samstar

5 Year Member
I just got back home from work and Torty was nicely basking under the light!!! Also his water dish was messy so I guess he's just adapting. Thanks for all your feedbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.