Sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
How do your tortoises sleep? I thought they slept retracted in their shell but Franklin's seem to have changed my thought, he likes to sleep with his head sticking out far resting on his log or food dish! Does anyone elses tortoise do this? He's a Russian (WC) just cuz you'll probably be wondering :)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Awww, I'd love to see a picture of that. :)

If my Russian falls asleep outside of his burrow during the day, its usually with his legs and head hanging out sunning himself.
When he's in his burrow, he'll nuzzle into the dirt and half-burry himself with this feet and legs pulled into his shell.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
smarch said:
How do your tortoises sleep? I thought they slept retracted in their shell but Franklin's seem to have changed my thought, he likes to sleep with his head sticking out far resting on his log or food dish! Does anyone elses tortoise do this? He's a Russian (WC) just cuz you'll probably be wondering :)

I dont know and cant see because he's always tucked into his hole in his hide. Interesting thread though and would like to read what others say :) (mines a red
foot)

esiotrot

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
My 2 tend to sleep in their shells tucked up in a corner, slightly nuzzled into their soil on a night, but if they're outside (when there is some sun) or under their light then they tend to have head & legs all flopped out, so much so I though they were dead :( the first time I saw it. My 2 are Greek :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I have never seen my RF asleep. Ever! They go into their hide and even when I try to sneak a peak they're awake. I would love one pic

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I'll have to see if I have any good ones, and I also caught him sleeping head first in his water bowl (his old one cuz it was too small) I know I have a good one of that, I was convinced he was dead :( and I would love to hear many answers, just because every tortoise has a special unique personality

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
image-1357023821.png

Attachments

• image-29105303.png
    image-29105303.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 168
  • image-2511825704.png
    image-2511825704.png
    874.2 KB · Views: 198

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Mine always has his back legs completely stretched out. Even if his front half is buried. The first few days i had him i thought there was something wrong but nope, he just stretches his back legs, even during his soak. He's an ibera Greek.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Both my Russian and my box turtle stretch out as much as they can-- legs completely out :) !! They do this inside more than outside. Outside they burrow at night but still have their little butts sticking out. I can see them in their hides. Little elephant butts :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Well now I'm knowing Franklin's not weird everyone's different. We should all try to catch pictures :) not to compare or compete just to appreciate how unique everyone's little tortoise is! I'll get my Franklin tommorow if he's spread out :) happy phototaking!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
My RF Tyrone, sleeps all spread out! Sometimes during the day he will sleep on a rock I have in his enclosure and let his legs and head dangle, the first time I saw him like this I thought he was dead.. He did not like being woke up and man handled by a worried mom! Sometimes he pulls his head in. I will try to take pictures! This should be cute to see everyone's sleeping torts!

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Harley my 15month Russian usually sleeps in his shell but the new 5month Russian sleeps like a starfish :D

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
When I first brought brains home, I found him sleeping like this! Scared the heck out of me!!
E9C1358F-164E-42B9-8CF2-E87A408E530B-1992-000001C050016BDA.jpg

Tootsie roll
e1627d9b.jpg

Tank doesn't sleep in the open :(

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
They're so precious :) especially when sleeping!
This one was right after I got him, I'd seen him sleeping with his head pushed up to the glass like a pillow but this scared me like crazy!

Attachments

• image-1169873908.png
    image-1169873908.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 102

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Laurie said:
When I first brought brains home, I found him sleeping like this! Scared the heck out of me!!

Tootsie roll

Tank doesn't sleep in the open :(

That's how my Tyrone sleeps sometimes too! With his behind up in the air and his tail sticking out, looks like a kickstand!

He also uses his rock as a pillow... I am on a mission to catch him sleeping now!

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
My favorite is when you accidentally wake the up and they give you the "uhh I'm sleeping here!" look

Deac77

5 Year Member
This is how Chunk sleeps his older brother ( by a day lol) usually sleeps under the hay pile

Attachments

• image-887067139.png
    image-887067139.png
    393.4 KB · Views: 107
Status
Not open for further replies.