Sleepy baby greek. Normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
My hatchling sleeps constantly. He is a 6 week old Ibera Greek. He seems as healthy as can be other than that he sleeps... A LOT! I wake him up every morning, soak, feed, then he walks around a bit before finding a a spot under the basking bulb and passes out again, after I get home, I wake him up again with a misting usually but it isn't 20 minutes and he's asleep again. I just wonder if this is normal for a hatchling. I know they need their rest for growth and all but how much is to much? Is it normal for a greek or do I just have an especially sleepy little guy? I'm probably just a worrywart.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Babies do sleep a lot. Your worries were mine little over a year ago. It is pretty normal.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
I read something that said theirs perked up a lot after 6 months, it just seems like so long from now! I'm going to get gray hair from worry by then! I just let him sleep all day. He eats well and eyes are crystal clear so if he was sick something else would send up a red flag I feel like.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I hear ya. It does kinda stink that they sleep so much. I used to bring mine, out and let him sit on my chest. He would walk around on me and then usually tuck into my neck and sit there or sleep. That way you still get to spend time with them. Mine would also walk around if I put him on the floor supervised at all times or when I would change up his enclosure. If he is eating, pooping, drinking and or your soaking and temps are right, he is fine, just a baby that like the rest sleeps a lot.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I hear ya. It does kinda stink that they sleep so much. I used to bring mine, out and let him sit on my chest. He would walk around on me and then usually tuck into my neck and sit there or sleep. That way you still get to spend time with them. Mine would also walk around if I put him on the floor supervised at all times or when I would change up his enclosure. If he is eating, pooping, drinking and or your soaking and temps are right, he is fine, just a baby that like the rest sleeps a lot.

I'm not to concerned about being able to handle him. I'm way to in love to need more bonding time! Haha. As long as he's healthy, I'm happy! At least he will be able to enjoy the indiana summer next year, since he's too small this year for much exploring.

Status
Not open for further replies.