Sleepy hermanns

Status
Not open for further replies.

loopyloo

5 Year Member
Hi, we brought home a 6 year old hermanns tortoise yesterday. She has been asleep most of the time, she has eaten a little bit but then went back to bed. Should I be concerned or is she just settling in and being a bit shy? Should I wake her?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi loopyloo:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

When you move a tortoise from a place he's established as "his" territory, into a new territory, he will hide for quite a while until he's sure he's going to be safe there. You can bring him out every morning, place him in a shallow tub of warm water and soak him for about 15 minutes. Then place him in front of the food dish (which is on the opposite end of the habitat from the hiding place) and step out of sight. Do this every morning and he'll come around in a week or so. After you've got him coming out on his own, you can cut back on the soakings to about once a week.

What would you like us to call you?

..and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Yvonne nailed it (as is so often the case :)), but I, personally, soak my torts 2-3X a week, just to be on the safe side...no downside! :cool:

And welcome to our little slice of Chelonian Heaven. :)

loopyloo

5 Year Member
Hi there my name is Leanne by the way. Thank you so much for your advice, we have soaked her and placed her at her food and she has eaten. Just wasn't sure wether to leave her to settle in or not. We will do what you said and hopefully she wi feel more at home very soon.

I live in Lincolnshire, England

loopyloo

5 Year Member
I'm happy to say that yoshi (my 6 year old son named her) came out her bed at 9am and has been pottering about all day and has eaten plenty! I am very pleased that she has settled in to our home and looking forward to watching her grow and show character. Thank you for your advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.