Sleepy tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittlefootNCera

5 Year Member
i dont know what to do. i have a new to me cdt(adult, 12") his previous host was letting him sleep(in a reptile cage(large screened type)) she said he would get up ever so often eat a bit drink a bit and go back to sleep. most recently had been asleep for about 2 weeks. she just moved and is building her own home so rehomed them to me. yesterday when i got home with her she wasreally active and spent hours roaming outside and then i brought her in and under and MVB. she was very active and eventually flipped herself. i righted her and turned off her light and let her go to sleep(which she did) shes still asleep. i am afraid to turn the light on because i am afraid she will become restless again and flip herself. its actually raining today(rarely rains where i live) so i have to keep her inside.i also want to metion she peed and pooped quite a bit(probably scared) im not sure what to do with her. does anyone have any advice for me? at the suggestion of many here my plan was to keep her up this winter. i was going to bring her in at night and let her stay outside during the day(i live in socal and we have fairly mild winters and very little rain) anyone?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well...I think I shared my feelings a little with you thus far :D however I have to say that brumation at this point would not be a healthy choice...she has eaten, she has peed, she is a bit stressed likely from the move...I would not allow her to brumate...not this winter...I believe you have naturally missed her window of opportunity...I would set up a part of your home an area dedicated to this adult tortoise to remain active during the winter months....I know that this was not part of your plan but in order to safely brumate your adult you needed to have cared for her all season with the ultimate plan to encourage brumation. I know that you think this is not possible and are feeling stressed about the thought of keeping her awake and safely housed....I know that you live in California..as I do....however the last two winters have not been very sunny warm cali weather during the winter...it is going to be another cold and rainy cali winter (according to NOAA).

I would really not use the tub to house your tortoise. Sure if you don't turn on the light to warm your tortoise it will sleep...but it will be gut loaded with food that will sit and rot ...which hey may not kill her but certainly can...so that choice is left up to you....I would not personally take the chance....you say she peed so maybe she wont completely dehydrate..but then again she may ...and if so then is it possible for her to become impacted at a higher rate of risk...maybe yes maybe no...again, not a choice I would want to be responsible for error on.....stress of new move can be a silent killer...so many things can go wrong.

I would, if you that is, would take a walk through my house and really designate a sizable area to set up a winter area for this year....then when spring comes round then you have the entire tortoise season to assure she eats..exercises...drinks loads of water to clear all urates and gets all the suns benefits stored up....ok so I will wish you the best choices on your part and moreover the best choices for your tortoise. She is absolutely a beautiful specimen of this species...also you appear to have a female....and you are responsible for an endangered species...alot is on you as a caregiver...I bet you can do it and know it is for this winter...not forever...:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Where ever you decide to go....happy shopping....and remember you will want the height to be such that if your tortoise decides to go vertical on the side she can not hook her nails over the top...this will help to deter the roll overs...lol

Bubbles...dang stress will spark all kinds of crap....ok so make sure you keep her a hot spot of 100-105ish.....and no cooler on the cool side than 85 while she is bubbling....make sure you give her a warm water soak in a warm place and keep water warm and let her soak for at least 30 minutes...and offer her food rich in vitamin a and e.......you two will do FANTASTIC! ...also I would keep the little one its own enclosure in the event your big girls has a bit of the cooties....you would not want to have two to be worried about....:D

LittlefootNCera

5 Year Member
Well here is what i came up with, this is the best i can do! the light at the top is VERY SECURE so no worries there friends(zip tie through a hole in the pole plus extras just because) i am adding a CHE to the hide box side to keep the over all temp up. not sure why it looks so small in the pictures, its pretty darn big in person. plenty of room for her to walk and places to hide...shes been eating and drinking so i take that as a good sign.

View attachment 14266 View attachment 14267 View attachment 14268View attachment 14269 View attachment 14271

Last edited by a moderator:

LittlefootNCera

5 Year Member
View attachment 14277

moved the light down temp only got to 90 the other way. hope the stand holds up! :cool:
she walked, soaked, drank, ate then turned circles on her leftover dinner to scatter it everywhere then went to the corner and went to sleep. shes not interested in the hide i put in for her.

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Nice job :D See, told you, you can do it.....I would perhaps place some type of heavier item on the outside in a couple of spots so that if she pushes agains the sides she will not shift the whole enclosure, you know?
:D

LittlefootNCera

5 Year Member
that was my plan, but i put so much DIRT in there i cant even move it! so I doubt she will be able to! its going to be SO FUN to break down next year, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.