Slight Pyramiding...? Also weight question by a paranoid Sulcata Mom

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Tuleo has started to look like he has some slight Pyramiding (not quite as smooth.) I screwed up and backed off the humidity a few months ago (not totally, just not as paranoid) because I could have sworn that wasn't an huge issue after they turned 1. After doing some searches today I see I was wrong.

Will this get better?
Tuleo.jpg Tuleo1.jpg Tuleo2.jpg
Also, his DOB is July 2nd, 2013. How does his weight look? (In one or two photos he is stepping off his plate - he was pretty much OVER his photo shoot.)

I am totally kicking myself over here - please tell me your thoughts on how he looks/is progressing and what I can do better (obviously I am kicking up his humidity again!)

Thank you,

Dawn AKA "Paranoid Mom"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
fine to me too.

You can still provide humidity. I pour water down into a corner of the habitat so it flows underneath the top layer, which I want drier.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Really?! THANK YOU!!

Whoooo hooooo! I kinda feel sheepish for even asking now but I was totally freaking out...lol

I feel like I have won the tortoise lottery. :)

THANK YOU for your feedback!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is not pyramiding. You and your tortoises are totally fine and you've done a fine job.

Weight is good for that age.

I find shell spraying, hide humidity and soaks help at this age.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Congrats on winning the tortoise lottery. He is beautiful. Keep up the great work.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Thank you!! With all the BAD info that is out in the world about tortoise care and all I have learned here, I am a bit OCD about everything I do for him. I was really kicking myself for a while. He still gets soaked but only once a week now. He has his full water dishes (outside and in) that he loves to tromp through and his humidity is around 65% usually (I had it higher before.) I would be heartbroken if I screwed up and caused him harm. I appreciate all the input. You guys are lifesavers!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also, that growth will start to smooth out once he starts getting past 18-20" or so...

Not that its bad at all now.