Slight pyramiding and crooked mouth

tortoiseton

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, Texas
Hey all!

New to tortoise forum and hoping I could get some thoughts on how my little one looks. I know it has some slight pyramiding, which after spending some time on this website I have learned is a problem I need to deal with for humidity. My tortoise has always had a crooked mouth, which I think may dry it out even more, is that a problem I should be worried about and could it be fixed? Also, over the last few months I learned that it is not good to only give it the mazuri feed, so I have been incorporating organic veggies with calcium and vitamins such as arugula, turnip greens, dandelion greens, and collard greens, but I am worried that I am overfeeding it. Does it seem overweight or are those natural folds?

20210730_110020.jpg20210730_110023.jpg20210730_110032.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's called scissors beak. It can be corrected with some creative trimming. You (or the vet) have to keep after it, though. . . not just one time.

Shell looks ok. Just add more moisture and humidity into his life.

tortoiseton

Austin, Texas
That's called scissors beak. It can be corrected with some creative trimming. You (or the vet) have to keep after it, though. . . not just one time.

Shell looks ok. Just add more moisture and humidity into his life.
Thanks! I'll check into resources for good local vets and see if we can correct it