Slime on water dish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
So I am using those terra cotta saucer things for the water dish. I usually change the water or refill it every day or two occasionally I would pick up the dish and I notice there is this slime feeling on the bottom of the saucer and sometimes within it as well. Not sure what this is exactly and if this is harmful for the tortoise... I usually just clean it and reuse it but just wondering if I have to do drastic things like sterilize the saucers or something. I forgot to mention, I am also using dish detergent and scrubbing pad to clean it... I rinse it good and let it air dry for a few days (Have multiple saucers to switch out) since it is porous and what not...

John

5 Year Member
Mao Senpai said:
So I am using those terra cotta saucer things for the water dish. I usually change the water or refill it every day or two occasionally I would pick up the dish and I notice there is this slime feeling on the bottom of the saucer and sometimes within it as well. Not sure what this is exactly and if this is harmful for the tortoise... I usually just clean it and reuse it but just wondering if I have to do drastic things like sterilize the saucers or something. I forgot to mention, I am also using dish detergent and scrubbing pad to clean it... I rinse it good and let it air dry for a few days (Have multiple saucers to switch out) since it is porous and what not...

I clean mine everyday, rinse with hot water most days and clean with Dawn detergent like twice a week, never had a slime problem, it could just be the water you use. I use distilled water half the time and tap water the other half. (this is just what I do)

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
It needs cleaning everyday, it happens with water dishes of any animal.

It's always best to clean the torts water dish everyday especially,because bacteria can be left from the poops..

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I don't like terra cotta for water dishes because they are not vitrious,and in my opinion the porosity can trap bacteria and possibly lead to problems. If they were glazed , they would be much better.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I have to clean mine everyday because she puts her whole body in them. My Terra cotta dishes are big and heavy and if she didn't alway's walk through it I would prob. do it less frequently.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I also boil my terra cotta saucers now and again. I kills everything with no soap.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
When I tried unglazed terra cotta, the ones I had didn't hold water. It would seep through pretty quickly. I use glazed saucers, and they still grow slime. I don't usually use soap on them, just scrub with hot water, and when the water deposits get bad I use some vinegar.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
From what it seems, the water seeps a little bit but not too much in my case (got saucers from Lowes) I usually clean it everyday but occasionally when I am busy I forget and do it on the second day. I think this afternnon or tomorrow I will just boil or heck even throw it in the oven at 450 for about 30 minutes just to kill everything off. Thanks for the comments everyone! Really appreciate it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its just bacteria build up. All of mine do that too. I just scrub it daily with my fingers and rinse it well. The same thing that gives them such good traction, which is why I like them so much, also gives the bacteria a place to attach to. Its never caused me any problems.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
Its just bacteria build up. All of mine do that too. I just scrub it daily with my fingers and rinse it well. The same thing that gives them such good traction, which is why I like them so much, also gives the bacteria a place to attach to. Its never caused me any problems.

Ditto!

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Thats... good to know ! I guess I'll continue my normal routine of scrubbing them clean hehe. Thanks!

John

5 Year Member
Shelly said:
They eat poop, for cryin' out loud. A little slime won't kill them.

I'm glad someone finally said it!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I like my terra-cotta dishes they are rough so it acts as a nail file,

I clean mine with a drop of bleach and then rinse well with boiling water,

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There is little inherent risk with commercially-available terra cotta in the US (I say it that way because stuff from other countries often has different standards.) The slightly rough surface makes it easy for torts to get in and out, and the weight makes it hard to tip. The fact they are cheap and big is a nice bonus.

Ideally, we would wash them with hot water and let them completely dry between uses (usually alternating between two saucers), but a more 'casual' program is usually perfectly OK, as long as we don't let things get too stinky or nasty. If you feel a need to make them more sterile, I think you'd be better off baking them than using a disinfectant- or maybe just replace it completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.