Slow growth rate due to climate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

livingenzyme

5 Year Member
I've noticed that tortoises from the south tend to be bigger at the same ages than their northern tortoises counterparts. I'm in the Chicago area and mine is growing painfully slow.

What I'm thinking is that half of the year the temperature just doesn't go up to high 70s to 80s. I try to accomodate for my little one, but still it's not the same as him grazing outside in 80+ degree heat.

You guys think the climate has something to do with the growth rate simply because of the temperature and sunlight differences?

Annieski

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edison, N.J.
I believe this thinking is a key factor, in all living things. Humans go through this seasonal change throughtout the year[especially where there are dramatic season changes]. Even with DLS, I hated knowing it was still "dark" when I was going to work----and the same when I came home. Why wouldn't that be part of the reason for the ultimate "design" of a tortoise---to be able to adapt to it's surroundings throughout any seasonal change. Maybe this is why their metabolic rate is very slow--to compensate for scarcity of food. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.