small black worms in filter media What are these nasty things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland, Oregon
I found small black worms in my filter media. This tank has Diamondback Terrapins in it. It is usually crystal clear. I went to clean the filters and one of them had about 20 small 1/4" long black worm like things on the top of the filter. Any ideas what they are or where they came from??? All I know is they gave me the heeby geebies and made me have fantom itching.... ugh
I did recently add a few minnows for the turtles to eat. For some reason they did not eat them, and so they have been in there longer than normal. Any ideas other than they are nasty??? :(

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Bleh! Don't know what they are Dawn, but they're sure as hell creepin' me out!! I going to regret saying this, butttt... can you get any pictures of the little slimy suckers???

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
I will try, they are dead now. I was freaked out! I was going to bed, saw them, and grabbed a large tupperware tub and filled it with the hottest water I could get. They went into that tub and then I itched all night. I washed my hands and arms no less than 10 times and was still weirded out. ugh!! I got back up and spent several hours googling around when I should have been asleep.... ugh..... I will try to get you a pix tonight. Heading to work and getting the kids to school now.
Dawn

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Okay sounds good. I did the same thing (phantom itching) when the big bed bug epidemic hit NY!... so I feel your pain!!

foxboysracing said:
I will try, they are dead now. I was freaked out! I was going to bed, saw them, and grabbed a large tupperware tub and filled it with the hottest water I could get. They went into that tub and then I itched all night. I washed my hands and arms no less than 10 times and was still weirded out. ugh!! I got back up and spent several hours googling around when I should have been asleep.... ugh..... I will try to get you a pix tonight. Heading to work and getting the kids to school now.
Dawn

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, how creepy, nasty worms. yucky stuff. thanks for posting it. it is interesting. lindy

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
emysemys said:
These aren't black, they're red, but maybe same thing:

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22384

And this one will really make you feel creepy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j86dhm9Y6hI

Thanks Yvonne, Those are bigger than mine and red. Mine are smaller, thinner and black. Creepy. It made me think of tiny itty bitty leaches. In my mind I know that is not what they are, but it still gives the heeby geebies, and I killed them none the less. ugh...
I have decided they are going bye bye whether or not they are harmless. :rolleyes:

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Where did you get your water because I see them in creeks and if you got your water from a well(untreated) or creek or so-fourth. Then you may have got them from there. The reason I'm asking because people use creek water around here and I see those little worms in water. I would clean everything in your tank very good and the water(change).

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Did you get the minnows from a new place?

They probally came in on, in the minnows especially if they were from a bait shop.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
1/4" black worms reminds me of mosquito larvae... But, last I checked, mosquitos don't normally nest in moving water like a filter, so I'm probably way off. Anyway, whatever they are, I doubt they're harmful to your turtles. Just creepy.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
It sounds like you had tubifex worms. They are small nematodes that live is water with high organic loads, sludge beds, and marshes for example. They are not usually a problem themselves though they can indicate a problem if there are large numbers. They are some what helpful though in that they help reduce the build up of waste. Do you keep you turtles in fresh or brackish water? Also what do you use as substrate? Sand would be best which helps to keep your water cleaner, that and Terrapins like to dig. By the way Terrapins normally don't normally eat fish as a major part of their diet. They eat mostly crustaceans, worms (like true blood worms, and clam worms) and mullusks. Minnnows by the way are not good for turtles to eat on a regular basis (they are high in fat and thiaminase), mosquito fish, silver sides, or killiefish like mummichugs are much better. Mine like with some mosquito fish and mummichugs.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Thanks for all the helpful information. I surely hope they are not mosquito eggs in my house. I think (and hope) I would have noticed them. Let's hope that's not it. My terrapins are raised in fresh water. The salinity is a little higher than fresh water technically, but just because the bit of sea salt I add helps to reduce algae a little. I have well water at our home. So, it is not treated in any way. It is the same water we drink daily. It is tested and safe, but not chlorinated. There is no substrate in their tank. They have tried to eat everything I have tried to put in there. I have found it is just easier to have nothing on the bottom. I do not feed any type of worms. My terrapins don't normally eat fish. About once a month or so, they may get a few goldfish to chase around and eat. Someone on another forum suggested minnows, so I have tried them once before. This was my second time. They didn't even eat a single one this time. I have wondered if the worms came from the minnows. The minnows came from Petco. I will not be doing that again. I now have 8 little minnows swimming in my turtle tank. That was not my plan..... What do I do with them now.??.. ugh....
Thanks to everyone for all your info. I will be emptying the tank this weekend and be cleaning and replacing filter cartridges. fun, fun.... Dawn

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
jackrat said:
It does sound like tubifex to me.

thats what i said. oh just so you know if you use sand you can maintain better water quality then even complete water changes every week. my terrapins have been without a "real" filter for about 2 weeks or so (i broke the pipe and am moving so i'm going to fix it after i mover them). Their water is still clear and no smell or nitrates, I rely on bacteria and plants, and there are mosquitofish and mummichugs in the tank as well as two coastal plains crayfish (sort of food/clean up crew). They don't eat the fish but any crabs, clams or snails don't have a chance.

oh just so you know terrapins dig alot with their faces which you may have mistook for eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.