SMALL INSECTS IN SUBSTRATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

handsomeEdger

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ridgefield, WA
Hello All,

I seem to have these small insects in our edgers substrate some fly and others scurry around on the substrate they are very small they do not seem to bother him but I do not like them and was wondering if anyone has had this issue and how I can get rid of them that will not harm edger. I dont think washing it is an option as it is a mixture of ground up moss and a small amount of bark.

Thanks
Randy, Danielle and Edger

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Little bugs are common in substrate. Some are beneficial, some harmful, some just unattractive.

Two Approaches:
1. Cypress Mulch. It has the reputation of being the only one that's "bug proof".

2. Work with nature instead of against it. Add a little clean dirt from outside to start all the tiny little critters going found in nature. Some earthworms and pillbugs help too. Many of the little bugs you are seeing are likely springtails, and are actually beneficial as they eat mold spores. If you get a full ecosystem going you tend to see less critters overall, as all populations are held in check. I suspect you are also much less likely then to see mites, which can be a real problem for torts.

Some folks just can't get over the creepy crawlies though, which pretty much just leaves option 1 then, and/or changing out the substrate more often.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are probably seeing either phorid flies or "substrate" flies. Neither will harm your tort They are detrivores. To control them you can remove their food source, their humidity and moisture, or their warmth. I can't remove any of those three, so I just tolerate them.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
i dont mind the flies as much,but in with the latter suggestion wit all my pets not jus my tort-change substrate often and use easily cleanable furnishings,you can even go as far as removing then for feeding and soaking i do,it keeps the cage cleaner and it gives me time to spend time wit him,but i do leave food in sumtimes jus incase he gets a urge to snack.

Status
Not open for further replies.