Small, Shady Porch vs Outdoor Tortoise Enclosure: Ideas?

ApartmentTortoise

5 Year Member
Hello!

I have recently moved to the panhandle side of Florida, and would like to keep my tort outside if possible.
I was planning on turning an old bookshelf into a pen for him. There are two setbacks that I can see:

1) I have a rather small porch, and I live on the second story of my apartment building. There is no ground access.
2) The porch is covered and shaded for most of the day, getting afternoon sun into the evening. It gets quite warm (enough for basking, maybe).

My real question is this: will the shadiness of the porch during the morning hours be an issue for him? The temperatures of the porch are constant. I have the ability to place a UVB light and a basking lamp out there if needed. I'd be willing to put him up inside in a larger enclosure too (the temp one he is in is too small in my opinion and he needs a new one ASAP), but I figured that I would try and get him outside if possible. Space is really the biggest constraint.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think it would be fine. It also would be better then staying indoors and also better then very short trips here and there to the yard. As long as he gets sun, I don't think it matters much if it's morning or afternoon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He can still get the UVB benefits from being in the shade.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I see no problem they use the morning sun to warm up, I am assuming they will be going outside in the morning so direct morning sun is not necessary, judst a warm bonus.