small suggestion about Species Specific forum section

Prairie Mom

Hello,
I think this site is done really well. I love the way it looks and how it is organized. Also, the mods do an excellent job.I have a suggestion that I think would really help New Chelonian keepers like myself as well as guests to the site...

I think it would be really great if in the "Species Specific" forum sections, there could be a photograph and a small informational pinned post at the top of each section.

For example:
Under the "African Tortoises" heading, in the "Sulcata Tortoises" section.
-------------------------------------------------
A simple pinned post like:

This is a Sulcata
-Photograph of young hatchling
-Photograph of FULL-GROWN Sulcata
Give scientific name
Give brief informational like where the species is from
Expected life-span in captivity (just in case a 10yr old is asking for one for Christmas:) )
Avg Size and Weight of this adult species.

-------------------------------------------------
(And do this for every species in the corresponding forum.)

I'm finding that I really don't know the different species and would find this so helpful as I get to know other members and the kinds of torts they keep. I often feel too shy to ask "what kind of tort is that?," because I'd honestly have to ask that question nearly every time and I'm certain everyone already knows the answer.

Thanks for reading this!
Chrissy :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think that Egyptian Dan started to do something like this years ago, but he never finished. We could use his existing "getting to know..." threads at the top of each species, and add the pictures and info you've suggested.

Prairie Mom

Sounds Great! I did notice a few posts from him in a couple forums. I think that would be wonderful, but would definitely put in a request for photos of both hatchlings and adults. I also think simple bold bullet points would be good for people who just need a quick reminder or who are perusing the forum in search of their next tortoise. Thanks so much for considering my suggestion. :)