Small Yellow Sores on Baby Sulcata

Lydia_RS

A few months ago I purchased a sulcata tortoise hatchling online. When she came in the mail, she seemed completely healthy. Upon further inspection, I noticed small yellow sores on her skin, almost like small callouses or something. As time has gone on, the spots have become bigger and appear cracked and sore. There are also more spots then when I first got her. Can anyone help identify what might be causing it? She is eating fine, is active, and seems to have no other problems. I soak her 2 or 3 times a week but maybe low humidity in her enclosure is causing it? Today I noticed a larger spot underneath her neck and I am very worried and will be making an appointment with a vet in the next week. Thank so much for your help! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464805004.380807.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464805016.902539.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464805029.674412.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Those are strange. I wonder if it may be fungal.

I've had torts with dry crusty skin, but it was usually on older tortoises from very dry environments and the issue fixed itself with proper humidity.

If you need help finding a reputable vet so you don't waste your money let us know where you're from and maybe someone can make a suggestion. A good reptile vet is worth their weight in gold.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had something similar and it was diagnosed as some sort of bacteria that is usually not a problem. Necropsy later revealed that the bacteria was a secondary infection and the primary issue was crytpospridia. Its a bad deal and there is no cure.

Don't panic yet. This might not be your problem.

Where did you get this tortoise?

Here is the sulcata care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

You should be sinking daily, and humidity does not cause this issue. High humidity simulates the monsoon season that wild sulcatas hatch into, and it is very good for them.

hadeed1

michigan
A few months ago I purchased a sulcata tortoise hatchling online. When she came in the mail, she seemed completely healthy. Upon further inspection, I noticed small yellow sores on her skin, almost like small callouses or something. As time has gone on, the spots have become bigger and appear cracked and sore. There are also more spots then when I first got her. Can anyone help identify what might be causing it? She is eating fine, is active, and seems to have no other problems. I soak her 2 or 3 times a week but maybe low humidity in her enclosure is causing it? Today I noticed a larger spot underneath her neck and I am very worried and will be making an appointment with a vet in the next week. Thank so much for your help! View attachment 175758View attachment 175759View attachment 175760
have you seen any success with anything to remove the lumps!! my tortoise has the same problem !