Smallish-medium size monitor lizards

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Hi I am thinking if getting a monitor and wanted to know which one is a good pet, I want one around the size of a tree monitor but I'm not quite sure if a tree mini to is my best bet

poison

5 Year Member
Look into ridge tail monitors Varanus acanthurus. Stay pretty small and from what I understand not to shy. But they need several inches of burrowing space just like most monitors. The good thing is that all that you see for sale are CBB.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
The Prasinus complex Monitors are not for the faint hearted. They are not "Pet" Monitors, and never will be. Do not get Timors or Similis if you don't want to deal with empty cage syndrome either.

You can look into Australian Monitors, but they need a whole lot more than a few inches of substrate to do well. Same goes for any Monitor really...

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
EricIvins said:
The Prasinus complex Monitors are not for the faint hearted. They are not "Pet" Monitors, and never will be. Do not get Timors or Similis if you don't want to deal with empty cage syndrome either.

You can look into Australian Monitors, but they need a whole lot more than a few inches of substrate to do well. Same goes for any Monitor really...

Which species of Australian monitors? Thanks, Ben

poison

5 Year Member
ben32hayt said:
EricIvins said:

Ridge tail aka ackies are Australian monitors :)

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
poison said:
ben32hayt said:
EricIvins said:

Ridge tail aka ackies are Australian monitors :)

Ok great I think I am going to get two!

poison

5 Year Member
That was an easy sale!

Gonna do any research first?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Ackies are the best! I've had blacktthroats(Sparky was my favorite) and a couple savanna monitors, but my favorite would have to be the ackie hands down. Get a trio 1 male and 2 females, and as mentioned, do your homework! There is plenty of info on the Internet machine to help you out in this. Remember, if a specie normally feeds on bird nestlings, don't feed them mealworms. Raise quail, they're easy. Have fun and keep us posted.

poison

5 Year Member
ben32hayt said:
Yah a lot! And I've got to purchase a terrarium but that's not a problem. Do you sell them?

No I don't sell them and have never kept them. I would buy a stock tank tbh. Cages you find in pet stores are not suitable for monitors. They can be modified for babies but not adults. I'd recomend joining a reptile forum or a varanid forum.

Cowboy_Ken said:
Raise quail, they're easy. Have fun and keep us posted.

Or you can just order F/T mice.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
poison said:
ben32hayt said:
Yah a lot! And I've got to purchase a terrarium but that's not a problem. Do you sell them?

No I don't sell them and have never kept them. I would buy a stock tank tbh. Cages you find in pet stores are not suitable for monitors. They can be modified for babies but not adults. I'd recomend joining a reptile forum or a varanid forum.

Cowboy_Ken said:
Raise quail, they're easy. Have fun and keep us posted.

Or you can just order F/T mice.

Ok Thanks, I will start a new thread once I buy some ackies!