Smart Sulcata sensed storms and asked to come inside

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Maricopa, AZ
My husband and I attended a funeral yesterday morning, and when we returned home Leo was on our back porch. Not unusual, as his house is on the porch and his food dish is inside - he visits it two or three times a day, usually. I went outside to say hello to him and was surprised when he started walking toward our door, which is on the opposite side of the porch from his house. I opened the door to see if he wanted to go inside, and it looked like that’s what he wanted to do… until our two cats appeared inside the doorway. He stood at the doorway looking inside, so I finally got his carrier and brought him inside to his enclosure.

About two minutes later, the skies opened up and the temp dropped 17 degrees - from 81F to 64F. The storms kept coming all day and into the night, round after round of heavy rain and possibly some hail at times. Leo has never “asked” to come inside, but he seemed very content to be in his warm and cozy enclosure... even though it’s way too small for him now. We’ve been bringing him in at night for the last week or so *when we can find him*, which is most nights… and we’ve blocked off his new burrow and access to the rosemary plant where he slept during the summer. It sure made me feel good that he could apparently sense the storms coming and made it easy for us to bring him in earlier than 3pm, which was when I’d planned to fetch him based on the forecast. Such a smart little guy!

Newbabymama

Kansas
My husband and I attended a funeral yesterday morning, and when we returned home Leo was on our back porch. Not unusual, as his house is on the porch and his food dish is inside - he visits it two or three times a day, usually. I went outside to say hello to him and was surprised when he started walking toward our door, which is on the opposite side of the porch from his house. I opened the door to see if he wanted to go inside, and it looked like that’s what he wanted to do… until our two cats appeared inside the doorway. He stood at the doorway looking inside, so I finally got his carrier and brought him inside to his enclosure.

About two minutes later, the skies opened up and the temp dropped 17 degrees - from 81F to 64F. The storms kept coming all day and into the night, round after round of heavy rain and possibly some hail at times. Leo has never “asked” to come inside, but he seemed very content to be in his warm and cozy enclosure... even though it’s way too small for him now. We’ve been bringing him in at night for the last week or so *when we can find him*, which is most nights… and we’ve blocked off his new burrow and access to the rosemary plant where he slept during the summer. It sure made me feel good that he could apparently sense the storms coming and made it easy for us to bring him in earlier than 3pm, which was when I’d planned to fetch him based on the forecast. Such a smart little guy!
I must know what does his carrier look like? How big is he?

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
I must know what does his carrier look like? How big is he?
His carrier is just a large Tupperware container. Just in case he pees while I’m carrying him, which hardly ever happens, but does occasionally happen. I haven’t measured him recently but here are three photos of him. First was taken 10/29/21; second was 6/4/22; third was 10/13/22:
31C14C6A-A52B-4348-89B3-581213E4959B.jpeg9921D8E0-5BE1-403A-8D70-33943D470127.jpeg88E4CC1B-6EC8-4FBB-89CA-0A49AC99C10D.jpeg
I’ve been soaking him in the laundry room sink since he arrived last year, but I’m not sure how much longer this will work…

Newbabymama

Kansas
His carrier is just a large Tupperware container. Just in case he pees while I’m carrying him, which hardly ever happens, but does occasionally happen. I haven’t measured him recently but here are three photos of him. First was taken 10/29/21; second was 6/4/22; third was 10/13/22:
View attachment 350919View attachment 350920View attachment 350921
I’ve been soaking him in the laundry room sink since he arrived last year, but I’m not sure how much longer this will work…
Oh my goodness 🥰 so beautiful!

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
I completely understand. We also didn't plan on it but here we are with a sulcata hatchling and it is for sure our baby 😆🥰
I have a coworker who had a Sulcata, she likes to tell people how “easy” they are, that she’d just let him roam her backyard and would forget she even had him. I don’t know that I’d agree that they are “easy.” And may that poor tortoise rest in peace (he got tangled up in a trampoline and wasn’t discovered until it was too late).