Smartest tortoise ever!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
So Livingstone lives inside on a tortoise table but when its nice out he goes onto the porch to "sun bathe". Today my fiancee was at home and put him out while I was at work, she works from home so she was on a conference call for a bit. She heard scratching but couldnt open the door, after the call was over she went downstairs and he was wandering around the livingroom.

It had started to rain during her conference call, she couldn't hear it, and he didn't want to wait. He used the spikes on his fore arm to roll the screen door sideways.

To me its great because I showed him a couple days ago when he was trying to get in. He had one arm against the screen door but couldn't move it because the door was closed, later he tried again. The second time I saw him coming so I slid the door open, so when he tried to move it, it would slide. Sure enough, he tried again. You could see his little reptilian head comprehending what was going on.

update56.jpg

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
pretty funny, I have a couple torts that will slide the screen door open to get in to.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I've seen a vid on youtube of the same thing! It's amazing how that tortoise was so purposeful and had such calculated movements, it was awesome, she just kept sliding until it was wide enough for her. She was a big girl. I really do think sulcatas are like Parrots rolled into a ball and capped with a shell. Without the feather dust and squawking. Perfect animals! So smart.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
RV will bang on the door a bit, but since we don't let her in the house she doesn't try to move the door. Also we don't use the screen door as we don't want the cats to get out... It is a neat trick tho to have your Sully able to go in and out on their own... now just to figure out how to potty train them for outdoors.........

HonuFonu23

5 Year Member
Glendale, AZ
That's absolutely amazing. My sully is too small to do that sort of thing lol, but since it can be done I look forward to teaching him that trick.

9see

10 Year Member!
Arizona
my sulcata can open the screen door too! If i let him, he will come inside the house, roam around, then go back outside. I think its hilarious :eek:p

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Now you just need to teach him to close the screen behind him!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.