Smelly, Sluggish Baby Sulcata (Need Help!)

Melis

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Those pics of the faces do not look very good :/

You need to make the changes listed above immediately. So do you have anything to heat the enclosure at night? You need to cover it to boost humidity and maintain temps. Read through those caresheets, all the info you need will be there.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Proper varied diet as well as temp and humidity increases. Might be good to soak them in warm water twice a day forv20 minutes at a time for a couple of weeks, then once a day thereafter.

Happydot1235

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Proper varied diet as well as temp and humidity increases. Might be good to soak them in warm water twice a day forv20 minutes at a time for a couple of weeks, then once a day thereafter.

Is there a chance of any concerning issues like RI or mouth rot? We are currently feeding them romaine lettuce, some aloe, timothy hay, and a few vitamin supplements.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Is there a chance of any concerning issues like RI or mouth rot?
Could be an issue, but can't tell by the pics. I think most of your problem is the environmental factors we explained to you. The eyes do not appear healthy to me, but it's hard for me to tell (I'm nearly legally blind).

Happydot1235

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Could be an issue, but can't tell by the pics. I think most of your problem is the environmental factors we explained to you. The eyes do not appear healthy to me, but it's hard for me to tell (I'm nearly legally blind).

The left eye of #1 hasn't been opening in days and that is concerning me. #4 is a bit healthier and moves around more. What I don't understand most is that #3 and #5 and healthy, but these two have been under the weather after #2 died of unknown causes. My suspected cause of death is MBD, because its shell was very soft.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
We feed them romaine lettuce pretty much everyday, and they get lawn grass while they are in the yard. I don't soak them everyday.
Ok. Romaine is not exactly packing the nutrition they need. They need a varied diet including yard weeds and grasses. Other things you can include are dandelion greens, turnip greens, escarole, bok choy, just to name a few. Try giving them a tiny pinch of calcium powder once or twice a week as well.

Happydot1235

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Ok. Romaine is not exactly packing the nutrition they need. They need a varied diet including yard weeds and grasses. Other things you can include are dandelion greens, turnip greens, escarole, bok choy, just to name a few. Try giving them a tiny pinch of calcium powder once or twice a week as well.

We do give them a small pinch of calcium, and thanks for the suggestions for foods.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
We do give them a small pinch of calcium, and thanks for the suggestions for foods.
I have a great time trying to find new foods for my sully. The only thing he absolutely won't eat are cactus pads. He only recently started eating his Mazuri. He's right on track to eat me out of house and home. Lol

Happydot1235

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I have a great time trying to find new foods for my sully. The only thing he absolutely won't eat are cactus pads. He only recently started eating his Mazuri. He's right on track to eat me out of house and home. Lol

Thanks for the advice. I will make those changes and hopefully George and Tiny get better

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Ok, so I did not realize that you have 4 babies together in that one enclosure? Two of them are healthy, and two of them are sick. A fifth baby has already died. Am I correct so far?
If so, you do have a lot of problems. Please don't get overwhelmed, but you need to make the heat and humidity changes ASAP. Being so many of them, they probably never get a chance to bask. Ideally, they should each have their own enclosure. But for now, I would at least separate the healthy ones from the sick ones.
I don't have a sully, so I'm going to leave specific advise to those who know better than me what to do.
I will be following this thread, and wish you and your babies the very best.
Would you be willing to tell us who you got them from online, and how long you have had them? It would be helpful to know.
It says in your profile that you are 13...you have certainly taken on an ambitious project!

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Do you have a lid to the enclosure? Are you maintaing humidity? Why is that bulb so close??
And also that cage seems rather small..

Happydot1235

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Day 1 update:

Gave all my tortoises a warm bath at 90 ish degrees Fahrenheit and it seemed to have given # 4 the less sick of the two more energy. #1 has sadly passed.

drew54

Indiana
Day 1 update:

Gave all my tortoises a warm bath at 90 ish degrees Fahrenheit and it seemed to have given # 4 the less sick of the two more energy. #1 has sadly passed.
Sorry for your loss. Did the one that smelled bad die?