Smelly, Sluggish Baby Sulcata (Need Help!)

drew54

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
He had a bunch of yellow spots on his his skin and some skin was peeling off before he passed.
From what I have read and could find it sounds like a skin infection. The yellow spots could have been built up fluid causing the foul smell. Could be caused by bacteria or viral, but most likely bacterial.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I live in Louisiana and we have been do that. But it is becoming winter and the whether is getting quite bad.
I’m near Baton Rouge (Denham Springs). It has still been warm enough on the ground for them to go out almost everyday. I think I kept mine in just one day because it was overcast the whole day. It is much warmer on the ground than the air temp reported by the weather. At their size, they only need to be out an hour a day. I know it gets warm enough in the afternoon for that. You really need to fix the inside temps. Babies should not go below 80 at all. A closed top is very important to keep the heat in and humidity up. Be sure you are soaking them everyday. Also get ready to have two seperate enclosures. Tortoises are solitary creatures and do not do well as a pair. One usually suffers sometimes to the point of death. They like to be alone and the dominant one will bully the other I until it makes them sick.

I live close, I’d love to help. Send me a private message if you’d like some local help. Best of luck!

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Sorry to hear that you lost one. I didn’t read all the comments before responding. Still here to help.

Happydot1235

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
End of Week update: #4 has been eating and walking. We have changed the lightbulb to be more friendly, and a humidifier has been added. As winter approaches, we will be moving them into the house with a heater.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I have more questions for you. Were these all purchased from the same clutch? You mentioned yellow spots. Looking back at your pictures, I searched for them. We have recently seen posts similar to this in young torts. I believe it to be contagious (could be wrong though). Tortoises need to be quarantined when purchased to protect all other torts and your new tortoise. I believe one owner was successful with a round of antibiotics. If any others start showing symptoms, get them to a vet ASAP. I use the LSU vet school. Mine have never been sick but they have given me correct care advice when I’ve brought them in for checkups. Best of luck!

Happydot1235

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I have more questions for you. Were these all purchased from the same clutch? You mentioned yellow spots. Looking back at your pictures, I searched for them. We have recently seen posts similar to this in young torts. I believe it to be contagious (could be wrong though). Tortoises need to be quarantined when purchased to protect all other torts and your new tortoise. I believe one owner was successful with a round of antibiotics. If any others start showing symptoms, get them to a vet ASAP. I use the LSU vet school. Mine have never been sick but they have given me correct care advice when I’ve brought them in for checkups. Best of luck!

#1 was arrived by itself. The #2, 3, and 4 were bought together. Ben arrived last and it our most healthy.

Via Infinito

Viet Nam
Hey, if you can afford it, you should expand the enclosure ( use a tube). Make sure to provide:
1. heat light - hottest spot, 100F - maintaining the enclosure above 80 F
2. UVB light. Put it a good 20 cm above the shell
3. a humid hide enough for all of them - a cave, with wet sphagnum moss ( or wet towels) - this is critical for smooth shells
4. nutritionally packed food: I chopped at least 5,6 types of veggies, put in a lunch box and stored in the fridge - use 2-3 days. when u feed, dampened with water, add mazuri (the original, not the LS one as tortoise won't eat this for some reason), add rep-cal tortoise pellets ( these colourful ones are very appetizing), sprinkle calcium powder every few days, sprinkle multivitamins with D3 every few days

Without these 4 factors, they won't thrive!