"Smooshed" shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousgeorge58

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana - United States
IMG_1157.JPGHello All,

This is my first post to this forum. I have found very useful and wonderful information on here for my wife and I's 2 baby Sulcata's we got in September.

I wanted to see if anyone has an opinion on our smaller guy of the two. Until we decided on a permanent name for him, he was going by "Smooshy" (who is now Argus) - and you will see why by looking at the picture.

Part of the reason we picked this little guy (or girl) was because of his "smooshy" shell. A few things I have read in my information gathering seem to show this may be a bad sign or a sign of health issues to come later in life.

Overall he's active and seems healthy - I just am looking for an opinion. Based on the picture, has anyone ever seen a little tort have a smooshed in shell on one side that turned out to be perfectly healthy?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Are you talking about that small area on his front right scute, as the smooshed part?

curiousgeorge58

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! Are you talking about that small area on his front right scute, as the smooshed part?

Yes, that is correct. It's concaved in - like a dip. I have a better picture where it's just his sillouette in his log-hide, but didn't have access to it at work.

Thanks for the reply!
Todd

curiousgeorge58

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:

My wife emailed me the sillouette picture. I have attached it to this post.

Attachments

• IMG_1176.JPG
    IMG_1176.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 57

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Todd.

I really don't think this is going to be a problem for your tort. It may even "plump" up as he grows.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome..it was probably done while hatching and im sure nothing to worry about..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Looks just fine...and I like Argus much much better than Smooshy....lol :D adorable tort by the way...

Status
Not open for further replies.