Snake in box turtle pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
So today was a very hot day so I took food out to the boxies this morning, then this evening went out to scrub and change the water dish and water the plants. After I scrubed the water dish and was putting it back I saw a little snake right next to where the water dish goes. It looked like a baby rattler, so I hit it with a hand spade (that was all I had), but it got away. I was pretty freaked out thinking there could be rattlers in my turtle pen, but now I am second guessing myself. Maybe it was a Gopher snake. If it was a Rattler is there a den in my yard? Should I move my turtles? Here are the facts as I recall them. It was about 8 inches long, moved fast, I did not see a rattle (but it was young), the head was not oval like the bigger gopher snakes, it was thin, also its coloring was light. Not dark or bright. I don't know if I injured it and I feel really bad thinking that I may have, but I didn't know what else to do. I was sure it was a rattler at the time and I didn't want it near my turtle or my house.

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
Grr, I don't know anything about snakes, but I'm sure lots of others on here do! Don't feel to bad about hurting it, you were just protecting your charge :)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I seriously doubt that the snake would harm your turtles. They might eat the snake though. Stop trying to kill snakes. I find snakes and frogs in my pen all the time.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If the head wasn't wider than the body, than the snake wasn't a rattlesnake. Even just born rattlesnakes have their heads bigger than their bodies.
Fast moving could have been a Garter snake (which would have been attracted by the water). Though as has been said, no snake will harm the box turtles and the snake could become a snack for the box turtles.

Danny

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
yea dont worry on killing snakes it happens but look at the head to tell if it is piosions or not butdont worry i would say the turtles might eat it lol :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I find Garter snakes in my turtle pond all the time. I also find toad tadpoles, and sometimes salamanda's. I never bothered with them, and I don't know who eats who, but all my box turtles are still there.

natsamjosh

5 Year Member
Nothing really to worry about. Probably a harmless snake. In the off chance it wasn't, there's still little danger unless you try to handle it. I doubt there is any sort of permanent "den" nearby. If you are still worried about it, I'd recommend googling "Snakes of California" so you can at least identify what you are looking at. No need to kill them!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I did a lot of goggling before I posted. I get rattlers and gopher snakes here so it could be either. The head looked like a rattler at the time, but it was so small now I am not sure. Not much good info on babies.

Yagi~I don't kill snakes unless they are rattlers that I think could be a threat to my animals or kids. I get frogs too and I love to see them:)

I am relieved to know they are not a threat to my turtles. I have been sick with worry.

I thought baby rattlers stayed near a den for their first couple years.

Dan~ I think the head was larger than the body. It looked diamond shaped to me, but it all happend so fast.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello Angi, if I remember right the area you live in has some mountainous areas (rolling type hills/mountains)? I believe I showed my dogs years ago in that area as well....

You do have the reality of rattlesnakes in your area....rattlesnake dens can be in a variety of places. I would remain very aware. However, I too live in an area in which rattlesnakes can be found (high desert) and to date on our property, so far so good (so far).

I have moved a few rattlesnakes out of bad spots and have only done so when the situation has been as favorable as possible....I would not mess with one that I could not handle (experience wise). I know that our first instinct is to stop (kill) the threat. However, I have seen so many innocent snakes chopped.....I would never say to you to not protect your brood....but be aware of the positive benefits snakes provide your tortoise as well....I would think that the snake was in that area to cool off or perhaps was there eating rodents? Which is a good thing, rather rodents get munched than perhaps your tortoise being munched on by the rodents? Just a thought. :D

I believe your tortoise should be fine...the one good thing is that tortoise have a general slow smooth motion about them vs. prey like critters who bolt and jolt and cause attention to themselves...I don't even like the thought of the occasional black widow that may crawl into the burrows of my guys let alone the thought of a snake in their burrow....eeeekkkk, would not be a fun surprise when I go peeking in there LOL :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
a rattler prob would have coiled up.. the gophers will flatten their heads and look like rattlers...but tend to escape and can move fast.
i hate killing things, but have done it, when it matters...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Yes Angela I am on a cul-de-sac surounded by small mountains, so I expect to have a lot of snakes and I am glad to have the non poisonous ones. I am glad to know my turtles are not in danger of them. I will just have to be extra careful when I am digging around in the pen. Though now I am concerned about black widowss. Do they tend to bite turtles ot tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.