snakes locked up wrestling

Loohan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North-Central Arkansas
snakes6.18.16a.jpg

This is a different black snake than the ones i've mentioned on another thread. Smaller. With a copperhead.

I tickled the copperhead a bit with a leaf. It tensed up and shifted a bit when i did that.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Looks like the black one was eating the copperhead

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
After reflecting a bit, i decided i'd better go help that black snake. I got my loppers and pruned away the excess copperhead sticking out. Now you can see the black snake's head, which seems to be on the copperhead's neck. Both are still moving slightly. The copperhead is still dangerous. But now the black snakes chances have improved.

snake6.18.6b.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
The Do and will eat venomous snakes. Good snake to have around.

Vladsfriend

Ohio
After reflecting a bit, i decided i'd better go help that black snake. I got my loppers and pruned away the excess copperhead sticking out. Now you can see the black snake's head, which seems to be on the copperhead's neck. Both are still moving slightly. The copperhead is still dangerous. But now the black snakes chances have improved.

View attachment 177636
For the record, that King Snake needed no help. It was the Copperhead that was being eaten. I tend to think all snakes are good snakes to have around. But I understand the desire to remove a possibly dangerous creature from your property.

Either way, those are cool pics. You don't see that everyday! Thanks for uploading.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Ah, so. Yes, about 14 years ago i heard racket in the shrubbery, and found a large King snake (forget the color) with it's mouth clamped on a big copperhead's neck, slowly working the latter's head down into the former's mouth.

Took another pic. The King is holding open the jaws of the copperhead.

snake6.18.16c.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington

View attachment 177636
"Pruned away the excess copperhead" eeewwww!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I wonder if the king snake would eat the pruned off part of the copperhead? He would probably appreciate having his whole dinner.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I wonder if the king snake would eat the pruned off part of the copperhead? He would probably appreciate having his whole dinner.

Yeah, i had tossed it some distance away, then felt guilty for depriving the King snake, so i brought it back to the spot. By then the snake was gone, but i think he's in the rock wall nearby.
Went back out a while later and he had not gotten it yet. Maybe still will before some other animal does...

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I was worried about Fred when I opened the thread. Looks like a tasty snake.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I am jealous of your snakes. I have to make do with a few lizards at my house.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Do snakes even eat dead carcasses? I don't know much about snakes, but i doubt it. It was still there this morning, but gone this afternoon.
I should never have taken the cut off part away. I guess i was thinking, no way the King snake would eat that all, because the coperhead was almost as big as he is.
Actually he probably was fairly satiated from the 1/3 copperhead he got. Probably the equivalent of a dozen small mice.

I have a co-worker who is into snakes. He said the King would have eventually eaten it all, after hours of constricting. I guess it just takes a long time to kill a copperhead when there is little size difference.
My impression is, the copperhead was much shorter but had similar girth, and possibly a larger mouth.

surfergirl

Great action shots! I have never witnessed this but read about it plenty.
kingsnakes are immune to poisonous snake venon so the kingsnake would have no problem taking the copperhead down. they are fierce constrictors. King snakes den with poisonous snakes and then eat them when they get hungry. I love to have kingsnakes in my yard. I tolerate the other snakes too, though.