Snapper skipping his brumation in MN

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Fascinating. I wonder if something disturbed him.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Fascinating. I wonder if something disturbed him.
That was my thought too, but there aren't many things this time of year that would be disturbing the ground. As far as large predators in the region, bears are hibernating and wolves and cougars are possible but not very likely. Not a whole lot of animals up here mess with snappers. Except humans, of course.
Construction is also unlikely this time of year with frost depths between 3-5 feet. Most construction below ground is done in the fall and then continuing above ground during the winter.
Odd.

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
I say it was the unusual warm fall we had our warm snap we are having again

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
One of the biggest differences between brumation and hibernation is that the animals does not really go into a deep sleep. A hibernating animal is in a almost coma like state, while a bromating animal will have periods of limited activity. No unusual to see some turtles even moving under ice, and as you theorized, a warmer spell will even trigger a basking response. My turtles normally are fully bromating when the pond goes below 45 degrees, yet I will even see some mating interest with some males at 40 degrees with the females almost totally inactive!​