Snappers up for Adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
I have two hatchling Snapping Turtles and I am willing to give them to anyone who can give them a good home.

August212009008.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's just the CUTEST little turtle!! Too bad they're illegal here in California.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Man I so wish calif would allow adoptions of snappers.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I'm glad they are illegal in California. Too many non native species here already.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Do I see three ridges on carapace ? If so, it's an alligator snapper.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
shelber10 said:
Can you keep them in NY

I'm in NY and they are all over the ponds here. In Sept., when the eggs hatch, we find babies all over that the birds drop, and we bring them back to the ponds. The aren't Alligator Snapping Turtles here, just the common snappeing turtles.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
so shelly the responsible keepers should pay for the mistakes of the irrresponsible keepers?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
There is nothing cute about that turtle. Wow I would hate to get bit by that. :(

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
cute is in the eye of the beholder.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shelly said:
I'm glad they are illegal in California. Too many non native species here already.

Yeah, there is just too much freedom in this country. Somebody might do something bad with all that freedom. The government should be much stricter and tell everyone what we should and shouldn't be allowed to do.

Good point Shelly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortuga_terrestre said:
Its an awesome animal that should remain in the wild, not in captivity.

I tried to just bite my tongue, but I can't. This is an absolutely moronic statement. I know several people who keep one or both species of snapper, house them correctly and give them a good home. I've kept both species in the past, at various facilities, and thoroughly enjoyed them. They were as healthy, well cared for, and as well off as any other captive turtle.

What, in your mind, is the difference between YOUR pet turtles and tortoises not "remaining in the wild" and these? That statement makes you an animal rightist. If you are an animal rightist, then you are a total hypocrite for keeping a pet turtle or tortoise in the horrible bondage of captivity.

These kind of statements and feelings are the reason that there is legislation on the table right now in several states to ban ALL of our pet turtles and tortoises. Is that what you want to happen?

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
WOW! Maybe you should switch to decaf and stop drinking 5 shot expresso's from starbucks...you are way too wired . I am in no shape or form an animal rightist..I do believe wild and dangerous animals like these should remain in wild. When have you seen a radiated tortoise or leopard tortoise eat a live rat? Or have been said to have the second strongest bite force in the animal kingdom? You are the kind of pet owner that purchases a tiger and thinks it can be domesticated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok...cool down, both of you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And this isn't the debatable topics section. Rhyno47 is trying to find a good home for his snapper babies. If you want to debate, take it to the proper section.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
Ok...cool down, both of you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And this isn't the debatable topics section. Rhyno47 is trying to find a good home for his snapper babies. If you want to debate, take it to the proper section.

I apologize. But its irritating when people get so angry about other people's opinions (This is a forum). Talking about our "Freedoms"...C'mon..I am currently serving our country as a U.S. Army Soldier..I am all for preserving our rights..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emysemys said:

Yes, Ma'am.

Apologies to Rhyno for diverting your thread. Wish I could take them, but somebody made them ILLEGAL! Okay, okay, okay, no more... BUT it is a good thing that our omnipotent government leaders are protecting the ignorant, helpless masses from the deadly scourge of snapping turtles... okay, sorry, but whew, what would we do without our courageous leaders looking out for us?...

Tortuga-terrestre, please see Meg's new "dangerous animals" thread, in the debatable section, for a respectful continuation of our conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.