Snapping turtle out of water

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Please I don't need to be scolded over this, it's not even my turtle. Things happen.
On Sunday night my dad's snapper got out in the basement and we still can't find it. I've gone over there and looked everywhere and both my parents have been looking for hours and hours.
My question is, could it even be alive at this point?

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Yes if the temps aren't to low..check in corners really good.. How big is it.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
They can live quite a long time and in some pretty bad conditions. It will be hiding as far back under something as it can get. They will even turn sideways to get to places. Look even in areas where you think there is no way for it to get into. That is where you will find him. Good luck.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
After hearing that he was probably still alive I drove over hoping I could find him. And I did! After looking for almost an hour today I stuck my flashlight in this little crack up against a shelf and this stand up punching bag thing and I heard a hiss. Pulled everything out of the way and there he was!!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1389282481.974182.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1389282492.640793.jpg

And I know I shouldn't have picked him up by his tail but I can deal with my tortoises not my dad's snapper lol

Last edited by a moderator:

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I am glad you found him! Did your dad always have turtles and tortoises while you grew up? Just curious they passed in the love to you. I am curious if my kids will have an interest as adults .

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Oh yeah! He's always had turtles. Grew up on a swamp/lake, I would always go out in the canoe and come back with the whole bottom of my boat covered with painted turtles. He has 3 soft shells, a snapper, diamond back, and a eastern painted. I have a yellow belly, red ear, and 3 sulcatas lol. If I didn't grow up with them, I would never have bought 3 tortoises lol

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
That's great . I love the picture of all the turtles in a boat. I am hoping my kiddos will enjoy them with me someday.