Snot bubbles and watery eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

klinej50

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio Texas
Runny nose and watery eyes

Hi, I noticed one of my leopard tortoise has watery eyes and is blowing like snot bubbles. Do I need to take him to the vet? I've read that their enclosures needs a cover but I'm unsure of how to get one. My table is 4 by 4 and it would have to go around my two lights. Any suggestions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: Runny nose and watery eyes

The first step is to warm him up. Add lights, add wattage, or whatever you need to do. This is usually caused by temps being too cool, especially at night. What are you using for night heat and what are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking and night?

Adding heat will sometimes stop the progression of a respiratory infection. You should have an ambient of 85-90 all day and night, with a 100 degree basking site for 13 hours a day. Continue this for two weeks after cessation of symptoms. Soak daily to ensure he doesn't dehydrate with all the extra electric heat. Go to the vet if symptoms persist. Anti-biotics might be necessary, but I would decline ANY "vitamin" shots.

What size and age is your tortoise? What are you using for UV? How are you maintaining humidity in an open top?

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Yesterday I noticed my tortoise was blowing bubbles through his nose and his eyes looked wet and slimy. I looked into it and I read stuff about heat and a cover on their enclosure. I have done everything to make their enclosure warmer. Do I need to take him to a vet? He is about 4 months old

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Laura said:
is he acting normal? eating?
did the water come out of his nose after being in the water? Soak?

He is eating but less than normal. He is active but only for short periods of time.
Compared to my other tortoise he seems sick.

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas

I have a UVB light and also a basking spot that is a 100 degrees. I order 2 more thermometers for the humid and cool side but I won't know for sure until they get here. But they are by a window to let in here and also all the vents are closed and no fans. I do take them outside daily and I live in Texas so it is normally about 100 to 109. I've also been reading about covers so keep the heat in but I have a 4 by 4 tortoise table so I'm having trouble finding a proper cover for them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Runny nose and watery eyes

The reason Tom asked about your light is because pet stores sell UVB lights that are actually compact fluorescent bulbs. These bulbs, especially the spiral-shaped bulbs, cause snow blindness in baby tortoises. Pain sometimes causes a drippy nose. So your baby's symptoms might be from pain from the bulb, if you're using a CFL.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
separate him from the other one if you haven't already.. do a baby food soak. could he have overheated at some point? let him rest and watch.

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas

All my lights and most of my substrate is all from Zoomed. I read that they were a good brand. I got all my stuff from a local reptile store they seemed pretty knowledgeable about tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Zoo Med IS a good brand, however, they also sell the CFL to unsuspecting customers. This is NOT a good bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.