Snow that won't melt?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
He did? I wondered if anyone had ever tried it before.
I also wonder if anyone from outside the USA would try it. Hmm? ;)

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
When I first tried it, it didn't turn black. I thought that the videos were fake, but then after burning it for a few minutes, it finally started blackening;
"There have been several videos going viral this week, showing that snow that doesn’t melt when put into contact with a lighter or a blowtorch. Some videos even show black charring on the snow. To many of these people posting the videos, this appears to be “proof” of chemtrails or that the government is responsible for covering the country in a white mystery substance.

This isn’t a problem with mystery chemicals, it’s a problem with not understanding chemistry. Everyone knows that the three most familiar states of matter are gas, liquid, and solid. Typically, to transition from a solid to a gas, the solid must melt into a liquid, and then vaporize into the gas. However, there is another phase transition known as sublimation that takes a solid directly to a gas. (think: dry ice)

Regular snow can sublimate below the freezing point under certain pressure conditions. This typically happens with cold, dry air, like what is found during the winter. Because this winter has been much drier than previous years for the East Coast, sublimation is achieved more easily.

Though a snowball may seem like a dense unit, it is still just a collection of particles with a high amount of surface area. When these particles come into contact with a much high heat source (like the blowtorch) it is energetically favorable to just sublimate directly into a vapor.

As for the black marks left on the snow? That’s just residue from the lighter/blowtorch/match, as the fuel did not burn cleanly and completely."

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I don't have snow...but I can make ice! Lol

I made some ice cubes with tap water and some with arrowhead bottled water.
I took the lighter to both of them. Both turned black..
1391293124749.jpg
1391293139297.jpg
They both smelled like burnt plastic.

Then my husband ran his hand over the flame...his hand turned black.
1391293172791.jpg
(his hand looks darker in real life...the pic doesn't show it well)

Lol. It was fun to experiment with this.

No idea why everyone is making a big deal about the snow thing right now...oh well. Lol

Attachments

• 1391293152919.jpg
    1391293152919.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I guess if I would have thought about it. If you run your hand or an item over the flame of a candle, it will turn the item black. I have done this many times over my life. Just never really thought about it until now. I guess the part about the snow not melting but burning threw me off. It's been fun seeing what everyone says and doing it too let Heather know what does happen.
The government conspiracy really cracks me up. :D
Btw, your very welcome Heather, any time:)

tortoise_man2

We'll I have much experience with lighters it is obviously soot. The snowball is melting but when such heat hits snow it immediately turns to vapor but where does the vapor go? My theory is that it try's to rise but as it skims across the snow it condenses and absorbs back into the snow ball. The reason it smells like plastic is from the gas plastic and gas are both oil products and both smell similar when burned.

That's all my big old thinker could come up with ;)

Well*

Sorry it's not well write but what can you expect it is a very exiting subject. :D

seanwilson1

I used to show my friends the blackened snowball trick wen I was like 14. The government isnt experimenting with weather seeding and if they did they wouldnt be practicing that kind of experiment on their own citizens. With the obvious danger in backfiring. However there is a satelite field in alaska dedicated to studying weather and some scientists believe it has a strict military use.... spooky

Team Gomberg said:
He did? I wondered if anyone had ever tried it before.
I also wonder if anyone from outside the USA would try it. Hmm? ;)

From canada and it does the same here :p

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ya, I'm over this now lol. It was a shocker to hear of at first and TFO was my only outlet to find someone from the "snowy areas" to do the test for me ;)

This thread could be closed and/or deleted and I'd be A-OK with that.