Snow that won't melt?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I've recently stumbled across pictures and videos of people across America trying to melt the snow that has fallen. It's crazy! Have any of you seen it? Have any of you tried it?
I live in sunny SoCal. Great tortoise weather but no snow to try the experiment myself..lol

Apparently the snow is burning, turning black and not melting from a flame. There are claims it even has a chemical or plastic smell while burning. A guy from New England tried it but his snow melted. It didn't burn, didn't turn black and didn't smell.

What's up with America's snow?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have plenty of snow. I have an idea. Let's do one of those home exchange vacations. Then you can experiment with the snow until the cows come home.:D
I haven't seen it. So how are they trying too burn it? What are they using?

Oh, it might be the smog burning off, depending on where they live that are doing this:D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Haha Barb!
I don't think I could handle snow. Never been in it and I'm 28 :p

Wanna do it for me? :D :D just get a scoop of it, take it inside and take a lighter flame to it. Or put it on the stove. Then tell me what happens! You can do the same thing to an ice cube and compare the difference (if there is any)
Please oh please! :)

EricIvins

5 Year Member
It could be an example of sublimation, or it could be something else. Who knows? It's not like your going to get a real official explanation either way...

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I'd start to speak, but all that will come out is government conspiracy theories.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Team Gomberg said:
Haha Barb!
I don't think I could handle snow. Never been in it and I'm 28 :p

Well then, your way past due to learn how to really live. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay. We got the snow. If not packed into a snowball, it didn't do anything but melt. Packed it into a snowball and it does turn black. I smelt the part that was black and it smells too me like lighter fluid. It doesn't drip though as if it's melting. I put it also on the stove and it just melted. So, using a lighter on packed snow it does burn. Using a stove, it melted. Using snow that was not packed, melted.
Now, can anyone tell us why or how the packed snow burned?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Snow that won't melt?

EricIvins said:
It could be an example of sublimation, or it could be something else. Who knows? It's not like your going to get a real official explanation either way...

I don't expect an explanation. But I do want someone I know or someone I would believe (like Barb) to do it for me (since I can't) to see what happens.

Yay Barb! You do love me :D

So it did burn but only when it was packed. Do you think that normally happens? Or something strange in this snow right now causing it? And ya the "strange" could range from theories of pollution and acid rain to conspiracy...but regardless I think it's interesting.

I wish I could have done it, too! Lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have never heard of this before. I don't know if it would have done the same thing back say when I was a kid up in Michigan, which is cleaner and less air pollution then Chicago. I would bet though it has something too do with pollution.
The snow I used was a few days old. We are getting new snow the next few days. I am going to get some fresh snow tomorrow, that the only pollution would be whatever it could collect as it was falling and see if it still does it. I will let you know.
Yes, Heather, I do love you:D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Did you check out any YouTube videos of others doing it, too?

I saw one video of the snow sparking like it was going to ignite!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually I didn't. But I think I will now. That's kinda scary. I guess you shouldn't eat any snow, not just the yellow stuff:D

I couldn't find the one that sparks. But, I do agree it does kinda burn like styrofoam.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I've read and heard everything from pollution, chemtrails, weather control to nano-something or other for possible explanations for why this is happening. I haven't the slightest idea what's going on with it but it is strange. It seems like from what I could tell, the northeastern states had what we would expect from a flame and snow...melting dripping snow, but elsewhere has freak snow that either won't melt, turns black, or catches fire. [FLUSHED FACE]

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
There is an official explanation. While being heated, the snow goes through sublimation, which means it goes from a solid to a gas. The black residue is from the chemicals that are used in the flame of the lighter. I have actually tried this myself with the same results. It is not the result of chem trails, or other conspiracy theories.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: Snow that won't melt?

EricIvins said:

Thank you for that link!

I don't think it's anything weird going on. Do you notice how everyone holds the lighter right against the snow? They're evaporating it, like the last video explains! If you try this at home, try holding the lighter a short distance from the snow and see if it has the same effect.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Interesting.

I wonder why the snow didn't turn black for the guy in New England?

Ehh, either way I got what I wanted.. A friend in the snow to do this for me :D thanks again Barb!

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
My father actually mentioned that he burned snow when he was messing around as a child. He said it turned black as well. I think people should do some real research into these theories before jumping to the conclusion created by people that spend their time thinking of these conclusions.