Snug as a tort in a rug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belladannon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maine
My vet recommended I use reptile rug in half my set up, and have a separate box with substrate for basking and burrowing. The problem is, my hermann, Sparata like to burrow UNDER the rug? Is this weird? Any others do this? He has a separate cooling side with a log at 70 degrees, he just seems to prefer to be unr the rug.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 58

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Let me ask you, is there a hide anywhere in the enclosure? Also, is there heat under the rug? These would be some reasons why he's doing this. It's not weird, it's what torts do. You can place something on the rug to keep him from going under it, or you can create a hide with a mix of coco coir and organic soil where he'll be able to dig or burrow. Try increasing the temps under his log because it just may be why he's not using it.

Belladannon

5 Year Member
Maine
Thanks. I will. And yes, he does have a hideaway log on the other cooler side. I just didn't know if he hated his new digs, or they tend to like going under the rug, I personally preferred the substrate in the entire tank. But I followed what the vet said. I may go back to substrate. It's more attractive.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
You turn the plastic tub with the bark in it upside to create a cave for him. The bark may be hard to burrow in. Try something softer like coco coir or top soil.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
What kind of tortoise do you have? Because depending on the species, the hide may just be too cool for it.
Belladannon said:
Thanks. I will. And yes, he does have a hideaway log on the other cooler side. I just didn't know if he hated his new digs, or they tend to like going under the rug, I personally preferred the substrate in the entire tank. But I followed what the vet said. I may go back to substrate. It's more attractive.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would get rid of the rug. Unless a tort is sick or has a open wound is the only reason a rug may be useful. I have never heard of a rug in the wilds, hmmm. Use more natural substrates, lie coconut coir, cypress mulch or plain dirt.

Belladannon

5 Year Member
Maine
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will go back to substrate. Your absolutely right. There is no carpet floor in their natural habitat. And Sparta is a 3 year old Hermanns.

Frog Tropics

5 Year Member
We use coco coir and timothy hay for our tortoises and they dig fairly deep into it sometimes just for fun, so those are the substrates I would recommend as they seem to simply enjoy digging (their digging behavior doesn't seem to be associated with being too hot or cold or bored, just they like feeling secure). I like it because it's an inexpensive substrate, easy to change/clean and wont collapse on them. Gave us quite a shock the first time, though, when we couldn't find them... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.