Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
RE: So am I th eonly one disgusted by " Big Brother" not the show

Welcome to Amerika...

I decided a few years ago NOT to share my opinions of these things publicly. To put it nicely, I don't like this sort of thing. At all.

Ickisrulz

5 Year Member

I'm surprised to see this idea is not from CA....

ekm5015

5 Year Member

Thats not that bad. Its not like they are going through your trash every week. If you don't use your recycling bin, THEN they have reason to believe you are throwing out recyclables in the trash. Pretty much everyone uses plastic bottles or aluminum cans daily, so if they arnt going into the recycling, where are they going...in the trash. It is a law to recycle by the way.

If they were going through everyones trash without any merit behind it thats totally different in my opinion.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

Let's look at it from this point I recycle I have done it most of my life, I take mine into the recycling center, under thier rules I would be targeted for thier searches because I don't use recycle bins.

chadk

10 Year Member!

We'd all like to think that they have these laws and rules becasue they want to be 'green' and good on the enviroment. But like most things in life, especially coming from the gov't and special interest groups (like unions, lobbyists, etc), it boils down to money. See, recycling is mandated because it is a revenue source for the city. Mess with the cities money, and you are in big trouble. They could care less about the environment. But they know you are suckers and will tend to trust what they say and go with the emotional 'feel good' idea... even to the point of invading your privacy, property rights, etc. And why not? It is what is best, right?

In many cases, they found out that all the stuff being sent out to be recycled (by law!) was eventually sent to the same place as the rest of the garbage. In other cases, it was sent to be burned in a facility that was not able to get hot enough and created more pollution than if they just sent the stuff to a land fill. And on and on.

Not that everything about recycling is wrong or evil... Just saying, you can't just take this stuff at face value and assume they are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

dmmj said:
Let's look at it from this point I recycle I have done it most of my life, I take mine into the recycling center, under thier rules I would be targeted for thier searches because I don't use recycle bins.

Me too, but then where I live we don't have curbside recycling...heck we are lucky to get our trash picked up once a week. :D Of course I would love for them to go thru our trash and play in the cat and dog waste. :p:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Very well put, Chad.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

This is probably a last resort kind of thing. I imagine the city's been trying for a long time to convince people to separate their trash, and the people haven't complied. We make a lot of garbage, and the space where it can be put is diminishing. It is imperative that we sort our trash and recycle what we can. If the people aren't going to be responsible, then I see nothing wrong with the "big brother" effect. Those who are complying will not suffer at all.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas

dmmj said:

Get a reciept from the recycling center...if anyone gives you grief, send 'em a copy...

Problem solved. :cool:

My gripe is seat-belt laws, but as it IS the law, I simply comply (that and the fact that a couple fine's'll pay for another Eastern Hemann's... :D)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

Terry Allan Hall said:
dmmj said:

Get a reciept from the recycling center...if anyone gives you grief, send 'em a copy...

My gripe is seat-belt laws, but as it IS the law, I simply comply (that and the fact that a couple fine's'll pay for another Eastern Hemann's... :D)

Well see you are trying to tie logic with goverment, and those are 2 consepts that just don't mix

Ickisrulz

5 Year Member

emysemys said:
This is probably a last resort kind of thing. I imagine the city's been trying for a long time to convince people to separate their trash, and the people haven't complied. We make a lot of garbage, and the space where it can be put is diminishing. It is imperative that we sort our trash and recycle what we can. If the people aren't going to be responsible, then I see nothing wrong with the "big brother" effect. Those who are complying will not suffer at all.

Then we can put automatic speed traps on every road and highway getting 100% of the speeders...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas

dmmj said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
dmmj said:

Well see you are trying to tie logic with goverment, and those are 2 consepts that just don't mix

By getting/showing a receipt, you're proving that you are, indeed, complying w/ the law.

And beating the government! :D

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR

And I quote BTO "you ain't seen nuthin' yet"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

emysemys said:

Just that language from YOU, scares the hell out of me and it should scare the hell out of everyone. "Those who are complying will not suffer at all." If we comply with what Big Brother wants, then he won't make us suffer?

What happened to "Of the People, by the People and for the People." So many of us now think we need a nanny-state to tell us what to do. Are we all that stupid? My neighbors aren't that stupid, are yours? I've been recycling since the 70's, WITHOUT the threat of government inquiries and punishment.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Tom said:
My neighbors aren't that stupid, are yours? I've been recycling since the 70's, WITHOUT the threat of government inquiries and punishment.

Yes, my neighbors ARE that stupid, and so are quite a few other people. My neighbor only puts out his "trash" bin on garbage day. I asked him why he didn't recycle and he said he takes his recyclables to the recycling center. One day I missed putting my can out and missed the truck. This neighbor told me I was welcome to put my trash in his barrel. When I lifted the lid, it was full of plastic bottles, papers, and other recyclables that should have gone in the recycle bin.

If you already recycle, then this new big brother tactic shouldn't worry you.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL

emysemys said:
Yes, my neighbors ARE that stupid, and so are quite a few other people. My neighbor only puts out his "trash" bin on garbage day. I asked him why he didn't recycle and he said he takes his recyclables to the recycling center. One day I missed putting my can out and missed the truck. This neighbor told me I was welcome to put my trash in his barrel. When I lifted the lid, it was full of plastic bottles, papers, and other recyclables that should have gone in the recycle bin.

My mom asked a friend of hers why they don't recycle, and they said it's "too much of a hassle". uhh... ???
When my mom would go to their house she would bring her pop cans, etc. home with her to recycle :p

My brother lives in a townhouse and you have to PAY A FEE if you want to recycle, because a separate truck has to come around. That has deterred many of his neighbors from recycling.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.

I just saw this thread, and after reading the first post, I thought to myself "the sad thing is, half the people that are in this forum are going to agree with this." Looks like I wasn't wrong LOL....

We used to get charged to recycle when I was a kid, so we stopped doing it. Like was said, if they want people to recycle more, at least make it free. It probably costs more for them to drive around and pick it up than the money it generates from actually recycling. This is probably why there's a $100 fee if you don't; to support the trucks they need to do it. They are free to campaign (hopefully without taxpayer dollars being involved, but surely they would) for the good that comes from recycling, but I don't think anyone should be punished for not recycling. If they start getting anal about checking garbage cans, people will start dumping it at the edge of town instead, or behind grocery stores where you're un-accountable. These people just never think things through.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

A couple years ago our community leaders made agreements with all the different waste management companies, and devoted certain sections of the city/county to different waste companies. Before this deal, I paid $30 a quarter (no recycling). After the deal, we now have three trash containers (trash, greenwaste and recyclables) and three separate trucks to pick them up. It now costs me $30 a month ($90 a quarter). This is quite an increase for someone on a fixed income who hardly generates any trash and recyclables (but LOTS of greenwaste).

I don't read the newspaper, so can't quote exactly the story, but I can remember hearing something about Fresno (my town) being number 1 in city recycling.

Had you asked me a couple years ago if I were disgusted by the tactics of city/county leaders in forcing us to all go to the more expensive trash pick up, I would have whole heartedly agreed with you! They've taken away my free choice and imposed a more expensive service on me. I could always go to the dump, huh? Can't you just see that? This little old 72 year old gal hauling her trash to the dump?

Status
Not open for further replies.