So Cal shelter Tortoises need homes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They are all currently listen in the "Lost and Found" section online, but if you are interested, please contact the shelter where they are located to find out more about their availability!

At The East Valley Shelter in Van Nuys:
14409 Vanowen Street
Van Nuys, CA 91405

Direct line: (818) 756-9323 or 9324

*SULCATA*

EvSulcata.jpg

This OTHER - ID#A1146543
I am a brown Tortoise.
My age is unknown.
I weigh approximately 48 pounds.
I have been at the shelter since Aug 27, 2010.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At San Diego County/North Shelter:
2481 Palomar Airport Road
Carlsbad, CA 92009

Phone: (760) 438-2312

*RUSSIAN*

SDrussian.jpg

This OTHER - ID#A1371210
I am a brown Tortoise.
My age is unknown.
I have been at the shelter since Aug 24, 2010.

Carlsbad, CA 92009

*CA DESERT TORTOISE*

SDcdt.jpg

This OTHER - ID#A1371518
I am a brown Tortoise.
My age is unknown.
I have been at the shelter since Aug 25, 2010.

Carlsbad, CA 92009

*SULCATA*

SDsulcata.jpg

This OTHER - ID#A1371766
I am a male, brown and tan Tortoise.
My age is unknown.
I have been at the shelter since Aug 26, 2010.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
(Mod note: Some posts not pertaining to the sale/adoption of the animals have been deleted - Y)

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
The Russian Tortoise is no longer showing up online, meaning he/she is probably no longer at the shelter/available. There are 2 more "tortoises" listed now, but there are no pictures yet, so I can't tell what type of tortoise they are yet.... Will keep you posted.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If anyone near Carlsbad can confirm that sulcata in the bottom pic is a female, I'll make the 4 hour round trip to pick it up. Since the shelter doesn't even know what it is, I wouldn't expect them to know the sex either.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It might be to late now, but does anyone know the sex of that russian?

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
That would be great if that Sulcata is a female and you could take her, Tom.

Dmmj, I am not sure if the Russian was a male or female, but he/she is gone now.

Here is the info for the other tortoise who doesn't have a picture. The 2nd other one is listed online, but says it was just reported, not turned into the shelter.

At the same SD Shelter in Carlsbad.--

This OTHER - ID#A1372212
I am a male, brown Tortoise.
The shelter staff think I am about 12 years old.
I have been at the shelter since Aug 28, 2010.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Tom, if you get somebody to check on the Carlsbad Sulcata, can you have them check to see what type of tortoise the tortoise I just mentioned (A1372212) is? I am waiting for them to post a picture, but sometimes they never do.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
If a tortoise (or any animal, for that matter) shows up one day and is gone the next, that means the owner surrendered the animal (as opposed to being stray). In most shelter systems, owner surrendered animals are available for adoption immediately...and do not have to be held for the mandated 4 days.

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Glendora, CA
DeanS said:
If a tortoise (or any animal, for that matter) shows up one day and is gone the next, that means the owner surrendered the animal (as opposed to being stray). In most shelter systems, owner surrendered animals are available for adoption immediately...and do not have to be held for the mandated 4 days.

The Pasadena Humane Society has a posting (no picture available) for an : "unknown age; unknown sex, typical turtle" ID #A275754 - so anybody have any thoughts on what a "typical turtle" is?:rolleyes:

Been wanting to call all day, but they are closed on Mondays - 1st, I'm just being nosey; 2nd, if your "typical turtle" just happens to be a boxie I might take a run to Pasadena; and 3rd, wondering what the adoption fees are for something other than a dog or cat.

Dean - any knowledge of the Pasadena Humane Society?

Sandy

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Im willing to make a trip down there. Im interested in the California Desert Tortoise. I just called and they are open tuesday-thursday 8-5pm?

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
OurZoo said:
DeanS said:

The Pasadena Humane Society has a posting (no picture available) for an : "unknown age; unknown sex, typical turtle" ID #A275754 - so anybody have any thoughts on what a "typical turtle" is?:rolleyes:

Been wanting to call all day, but they are closed on Mondays - 1st, I'm just being nosey; 2nd, if your "typical turtle" just happens to be a boxie I might take a run to Pasadena; and 3rd, wondering what the adoption fees are for something other than a dog or cat.

Sandy

Typical turtle would probably be a Red Eared Slider, but might be a box turtle too... can't say for sure.

Here are their hours of operation, also their adoptions fees. Last I checked at the LA City Shelters, the adoption fee for an RES was something crazy like $20-$25. At the LA County Shelters, I know it is only $5-$10 for a RES.

http://www.pasadenahumane.org/site/PageServer?pagename=adopt_before_faq[hr]
Tortuga_terrestre said:
Im willing to make a trip down there. Im interested in the California Desert Tortoise. I just called and they are open tuesday-thursday 8-5pm?

Great! Can you check on Tom's Sulcata, as well as the other tortoise to find out it's type and size?

Here are their hours of operation per their website:

Tuesday through Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Closed Sundays, Mondays and Holidays

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
NEVER liked the Humane Society...they only do what's in their best interest...not really giving a s**t about what's best for the animals or the public...they kept an 11 foot alligator there in deplorable conditions back in the 80s...just to draw in people...surprised they didn't charge admission:D I almost had to go there a few years back to attend a seminar...got out of it, though!;)

OurZoo said:

Sandy

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Last time I checked small pet adoptions which include hamsters gerbils and turtles was 10 dollars that was about a year ago. If theyt list a "typical turtle" post it is most likely a RES but it could not hurt to ask.

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Glendora, CA
dmmj said:
Last time I checked small pet adoptions which include hamsters gerbils and turtles was 10 dollars that was about a year ago. If theyt list a "typical turtle" post it is most likely a RES but it could not hurt to ask.

Thanks Dean and David, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what's what - just a wee concerned that they also have posted an "unaltered male buff-colored cockatiel" - who the heck nueters birds?:cool:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Another thing to keep in mind is that 99% of all turtles are undersized RES or SS that were seized in raids and will NEVER be available to anyone but bona fide rescues. The City shelters charge $13 for reptile adoptions...for whatever reason, amphibians are $25...Go figure!

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Glendora, CA
DeanS said:
Another thing to keep in mind is that 99% of all turtles are undersized RES or SS that were seized in raids and will NEVER be available to anyone but bona fide rescues. The City shelters charge $13 for reptile adoptions...for whatever reason, amphibians are $25...Go figure!

Yep! RES that was missing a leg - being fostered by a PHS staff member, who will be keeping it.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Tortuga_terrestre said:
I callled the Carlsbad Shelter only to get a busy signal....frustrating.

That tortoise is no longer listed online either. There is another (possibly CDT) listed at the San Bernadino Shelter though.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
APBT_Fanatic said:
Tortuga_terrestre said:
I callled the Carlsbad Shelter only to get a busy signal....frustrating.

That tortoise is no longer listed online either. There is another (possibly CDT) listed at the San Bernadino Shelter though.

Let me know the details. PM me. Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.