SO confused... please help with lighting and size questions

alylay25

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County
Hi! EDIT: I have a russian tortoise, how can i forgot to add that important info!

I am new to this forum and am being overwhelmed by all of the information on here, in a good way!

I have a few questions. So I live in Southern California and can only keep my tortoise outside. Does she need any other light source or heat source apart from the sun we have almost all the time?

Is a 6 foot wide kiddie pool (15 inches tall) a good enclosure for her? She is about 10 years old (now living with me) and about 6-7 inches. Obviously I will make it secure and put enough substrate inside for her to burrow, hiding spots, etc.

Also, how should I mix substrate? Half on one side half on other or like layers? Also should I wet my substrate or put it in as is? Deeper on some sides?

Lastly, can I leave the cuttlefish bone in 24/7?

What's a proper way to give her a cool spot? A permanent shady spot or something more? I heard something about double shade.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
We need to know the species before we can help you. Please give us pictures.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm still learning but I'll answer what I can.

If you keep your tort outside you don't need a uvb light the sun is plenty. You will need to provide a heated hide if temps fall below 65ish I think for Russians. 6 ft kiddie pool would probably be a little small I think. I put my substrate in first then pour water over it. Also you can leave the cuttlefish bone 24/7 just remember to remove the hard backing from it first.

Melis

Maryland
Welcome! 4x8 is the recommended minimum enclosure size for a tort, of course the bigger the better. I’ve never owned one, but from what I have read on this forum, Russians can climb and are escape artists, so keep that in mind when constructing an enclosure.

alylay25

Orange County
I'm still learning but I'll answer what I can.

If you keep your tort outside you don't need a uvb light the sun is plenty. You will need to provide a heated hide if temps fall below 65ish I think for Russians. 6 ft kiddie pool would probably be a little small I think. I put my substrate in first then pour water over it. Also you can leave the cuttlefish bone 24/7 just remember to remove the hard backing from it first.

Thank you!
Would half top soil half coco coir be good? mixing them or like putting them half on one side, half on other in the enclosure.

Also what kind of heated hide?