So, I did a thing, tested popular commercial foods for pesticide content.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
For foods listed as organic, only 'as found in nature' products can be used, no synthetics. I did not test the foods for metals, even tough it is a possible test. And though the products are not necessarily tested by authorities that monitor 'organic' those authorities do monitor uses. So some weird spike in the purchase and use (by the farm) of any compound for any certain crop or year will set off alarms. I've done a great deal of feasibility analyses to see what I could produce, the costs, and licenses required. It a tough suite of conditions to meet.

And then there are the cheats and liars. That's why I won't buy any 'organic' from some producing countries, it is not trustworthy. I've direct imported a few items that turn over well (high volume) or come from Canada and/or Mexico where NAFTA make it simpler and less expensive.

For me the most annoying aspect of all the sourcing is the quality variability from one lot to the next. Even from the same importer from year to year quality IMO varies much. That's the primary driver to produce organics myself.

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Garland, Texas
I just fed my baby tortoises (Redfoots and Leopards) these pellets mixed into their greens today and they all seemed to love it. Hardly any left on the plate. Do they not make a larger pellet for adults though? I would love to feed them this too but not as feasible at the size of the pellet, but considering the great initial response from the babies, I will likely continue using for them.

Reactions: Ink