so i got them anyways....

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
earlier in the week i had made a vivarium for vampire crabs then i was given the " sorry i thought we ordered it but we didnt i guess" so i went and bought more darts and put them in the setup. believe it or not right after i spend 200 on dart frogs I walk into a store and they are just recieving a shipment of vampire crabs they have 50 or so not even out of the bag yet so of course me being me i have to get them. Ive always wanted to breed them I sorta have a thing for the shelled creatures tortoise crab anything with a hard exterior except spider nasty. I got the pick of them so i carefully sexed them myself getting 3 and 3 so im hoping for some pairing. they are the only crab species that can lay eggs on land with no trouble. I also own flower crabs i have one pregnant one for about 4 weeks now but its no tlooking good she shoulda laid weeks ago. I was hoping to be apart of the few if not the only one to be able to breed a crab thats not a vampire. but here are the pics the red one is the flower rest are vampires.

side note: the flower crab is 3-4 inches the vampires an inch

Attachments

• DSC_0325.JPG
    DSC_0325.JPG
    589.4 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0658.JPG
    DSC_0658.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • DSC_0655.JPG
    DSC_0655.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 102

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Pretty cool. Glad you were able to get what you really wanted. Too bad you had to put out the extra money...but I am sure it will be worth it in the end.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I can add more photos as well

DixieParadise said:
Pretty cool. Glad you were able to get what you really wanted. Too bad you had to put out the extra money...but I am sure it will be worth it in the end.

Oh forsure worth it. Money is money. I'm happy with learning about different things so I make room.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
And I bought ten more Lol and upgraded the tank to a 10 gal. Also the flower in the picture had a molt a good one woot so lucky. Anyways if you want to see the new tank let me know

starfield

5 Year Member
love the vampires...never looked into crabs...very interesting!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can I assume the crabs and frogs are in two diff. enclosure? However, are both types of crabs able to be housed together? I can see why you like the crabs so much. They are beautiful. I might be looking into some myself. My hermit I have is boring.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
wellington said:
Can I assume the crabs and frogs are in two diff. enclosure? However, are both types of crabs able to be housed together? I can see why you like the crabs so much. They are beautiful. I might be looking into some myself. My hermit I have is boring.

Yes they are in deifferent set ups. I've herd of people keeping them together but I rather not try. I now have between 12 and 16 vampire crabs lol hard to count. The two types or crab are also in different set ups. I like to think of myself as sorta a expert on crustaceans lol. I have been study different kinds on my own for years and soon the flower crabs will have babies. Everyone says you can't breed a crab that is brackish because they need the ocean. I beg to differ. I have took all the info I could compile and made them the exact habitat they live in. Same as with the vampires. If you ever do decided to go with some crabs ask me anything lol I even know all the scientific names for them. Vamps are geosesarma sp bicolor. The flowers are sesarmop intermedius science names help with looking up info. Anyways ya ask any question I love answering I learn what I can fom them.

Also sorry for punctuation and just bad grammer I'm sorta in a rush right now and the iPod is not helping with auto correct.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If and when I do get some. I will for sure get in contact with you. Don't forget to post pics of the babies, that is so cool.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
wellington said:
If and when I do get some. I will for sure get in contact with you. Don't forget to post pics of the babies, that is so cool.

I will forsure post pictures. Problem is I'd have to find them. Pregnant crabs hide they the babies hatch and there are 1mm big lol and clear. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.