So i went into Petco after work empty handed, walked out with a tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Buffalo, NY
That's right folks! I can't make this first post in this thread very long, as I'm typing it on my Blackberry from the Petco parking lot.

I walked in and saw this tort chowing down food, like hardcore eating. The tort seemed so full of energy and spunk (he, or I'm at least guessing it's a he, I have no idea)...I asked an associate if I could hold him for a second and I knew from the moment I had him in my hands I wanted him. The other torts were sleeping, but not this guy. He seemed to be stealing all their food while everyone else was fast asleep in the logs.

He's extremely active already and we're only in the parking lot. We're gonna head home now and get him all situated in his enclosure. He already took a massive poop in his carrying container!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... He's a Russian :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No problem when I hear petco and tortoise I automatically think russian, I am glad you picked the healthy one maybe some of the others now can get some food LOL. I would of cours suggest a vet visit because petco's russians are WC and usually full of parasites and such, and gratz on the new found family memeber.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
Congrats on getting a new tortoise, but I really wish you would have chosen a source that does not fund the importation of wild caught animals. It is very likely that this Russian has parasites. You should be careful not to mix any of the supplies that your last tortoise came into contact with with this tortoise, unless you have sanitized them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Congrats on the new member!!! Sounds like you had an instant bond with him. Neat when that happens isn't it?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Congratulations! I hope he gets settled in and named soon.

And don't forget to feed him.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Does Petco sell anything but Russians...I never see anything but Russians at Petsmart either...HMMMMMMMMMMMM! But, with all the attention to shelters and rescues...it needs to be put out there that shop animals need love too!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
:)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
DeanS said:
Does Petco sell anything but Russians...I never see anything but Russians at Petsmart either...HMMMMMMMMMMMM! But, with all the attention to shelters and rescues...it needs to be put out there that shop animals need love too!

Ours has Redfoot too (Nebraska). I also think I got a Greek from them (not our stores, but one in Salt Lake City, UT)

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I've seen redfoots where I'm at as well. But then again I live about an hour south of Salt Lake City...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mine once had a redfoot in it a well but mostly russians.

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
Well, we got home a little while ago. Got him a nice full, fresh container of Organic Spring Mix from Walmart and some carrot slices. All of Buddy's "equipment" had been thoroughly sanitized when we lost him last week, but thanks for the heads up. I find it a teeny-tiny-bit insulting that someone got upset/angry because I bought a tortoise from Petco rather than somewhere else (like, not a pet store, I'm assuming?) - As another poster said, I felt a bond with him when I held him, so I made the purchase. I DID make it known several days ago that I was definitely wanting another tortoise already, and although I didn't come right out and ask if anyone had any they were looking to re-home, there was ample opportunity for anyone to speak up and say so. No one did. I had been looking all over Craigslist (in the Buffalo, Rochester, Niagara regions of NY as well as the Erie and Pittsburgh regions of PA and Cleveland Ohio...but no one had any torts listed, I had been looking everyday like a madwoman)... Since losing Buddy, I know this may sound silly or even dumb perhaps, but I've decided I'm an open-tort lover, meaning, I would like to experience as much tortoise as I can over my lifetime. Why narrow it down to just one species? It's kind of ironic that we ended up with a Russian tort today, because I had actually overlooked them, I guess you could say. When I saw him devouring his food like a maniac today in that pet store while all the others were taking their mid-afternoon nap, I knew he had a personality I liked! Kinda like the badass out of the group. I like that! haha...

I gave him a bath in the sink as soon as we got home (yes I disinfected the hell out of it when I was done bathing him)...I had tried putting him in the container we used to soak Buddy in, and the Russian wouldn't fit. I didn't realize he's MUCH bigger than Buddy was. On a positive note, this guy's plastron and caraspace is VERY solid, unlike Buddy's-- gosh, his was so soft you could've literally put your finger through him on accident if you pushed too hard.

He pooped and peed A LOT in his cardboard carrying container, I guess the transport from the store to the apartment literally scared the crap out of him!? Also, I'm used to teeny-tiny poops...like the size of my pinky nail. This guy's poops are MASSIVE! His pee smelled kind of strong (in the box), is that normal or no?

Yes, we will be taking him to the vet in the coming days to make sure he has a clean bill of health. I didn't ask this before with Buddy, but when we take this guy to the vet for the first time, is there anything in particular we should ask the vet? Or just let the vet do the talkin'/work? Should we ask for bloodwork to be done? The vet didn't run any on Buddy, and we're wondering if this is normal procedure or not?

I put in the Organic spring mix a little while ago shortly after setting him in his enclosure. He made a full lap around the enclosure, just sorta checking out the new situation, and then ran toward the food and has been eating like the same maniac he was in the pet store! He won't stop eating, it's adorable to watch! Pics and a video coming shortly, hold tight! :)

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
DonaTello said:
Oh I'm so happy for you two! It doesn't matter where you got him. As long as your happy and I'm
sure your new tortie was happy to be picked by you!

Awww, thanks Jilly!! ;)

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Of course his poop is gonna be smelly! Nothing out of that end will EVER smell pleasant:p

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
dreadyA said:
Of course his poop is gonna be smelly! Nothing out of that end will EVER smell pleasant:p

Hey wait, my husband says his SH@@ doesn't stink. :D He is also full of SH@@ though.

Congrats on the new kid...I mean adult. He'll name himself given time.

Dawna

Status
Not open for further replies.