So I'm ready to buckle down and get my first tortoise.. some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

robd

5 Year Member
Hi,

Very new to the forum and I've been doing lots of research on tortoises lately.

I have it narrowed down to a few options and I put this post on here to try and get some more specific input, I suppose.

First and foremost let me say that I am understanding of the commitment requirement that comes with keeping a male and female of a species if the intent is to let them breed eventually. I have bred tarantulas. I am going to breed my bearded dragon pair. My pet rat has had babies too, heh.

Like with English Mastiffs, the Goliath Bird Eater Tarantula (Theraphosa blondi), and the Green Iguana alike, I am always captivated by the biggest pets out there. Now I know Galapagos and Aldabra tortoises surely trump an adult Sulcata, but the Sulcata is no miniature, that's for sure.

So instinctively I thought oh man they're so cool I want one for sure. I had heard eventually you need to provide them an outdoor enclosure and that wouldn't be a problem down the road. I made sure to read about it too. I know how they dig and went down the list of things to ask yourself before getting a Sulcata. I live in Tennessee now, but I am moving to Florida as early as January 2012. Probably a little later than that.

So that brings me to question number one. I definitely would like to experience the pleasure of raising a Sulcata or two. Although I wonder in 2 1/2 years or 3 even... how big would it be? Would I already need to provide it an outdoor enclosure or not quite yet?

I am also very intrigued by the Russian and Leopard tortoises. I'm all about the Sulcata, but I'd like to have some tortoises that I don't have to worry about providing an enclosure for and since they only get so big, that's perfect.

Lastly... I have looked in the Middle Tennessee area trying to find some exotic animal rescues at last ditch resort and haven't found anything really. Unfortunately this has become one of those states that invoked laws as far as turtles and tortoises go. Those laws also have gotten misinterpreted beyond being just... you can't have wild caught Tennessee native turtles or tortoises. Seems confusing.

I've seen a few different tortoise breeders online. Can anybody recommend a dealer in particular?

Thanks for you time and I appreciate it.

- Rob

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Talk to Terry K. He's in Tennessee too. He goes by Redfoot NERD here on the forum.

Sulcatas are my favorite tortoise, but they are not the right choice for MOST people. They just get too big and destructive. They are great if you have ranch style property that is suited for horses, goats and such, but really not so good in a typical back yard. There is a wide size range for sulcatas at that age. They have wildly different growth rates. My two year old is around 5". Some people have 8-10" 2-3 year olds. Also, sulcatas are typically much more active than other species and, in my opinion, require a lot more space. Not trying to talk you out of it. Just want you to really know what you are getting into. I have three small adults from 30-40 pounds each and they live in a 6000 square foot pen with two heated shelters. They get the run of the 5 acre ranch most days and they literally canvas the whole thing several times a day.

Some people have trouble with Leopards getting respiratory problems in the humid parts of the country. Have you considered the Redfoot tortoise? They love the humidity both in Tennessee and FL.

Welcome to the forum and THANK YOU!!! for doing such careful research BEFORE getting a tortoise. I promise that you and whatever tortoise you end up with will be much better off this way.

samstar

5 Year Member
Just curious everyone, do Sulcata's do well in tropical climates like Malaysia? It's hot and than rain suddenly, so is it ok for the Sulcata to get stuck int he rain just in case? I have over 1000sqft of garden space and would like to keep my sully there.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
robd said:
Hi,

Very new to the forum and I've been doing lots of research on tortoises lately.

I have it narrowed down to a few options and I put this post on here to try and get some more specific input, I suppose.

First and foremost let me say that I am understanding of the commitment requirement that comes with keeping a male and female of a species if the intent is to let them breed eventually. I have bred tarantulas. I am going to breed my bearded dragon pair. My pet rat has had babies too, heh.

Like with English Mastiffs, the Goliath Bird Eater Tarantula (Theraphosa blondi), and the Green Iguana alike, I am always captivated by the biggest pets out there. Now I know Galapagos and Aldabra tortoises surely trump an adult Sulcata, but the Sulcata is no miniature, that's for sure.

So instinctively I thought oh man they're so cool I want one for sure. I had heard eventually you need to provide them an outdoor enclosure and that wouldn't be a problem down the road. I made sure to read about it too. I know how they dig and went down the list of things to ask yourself before getting a Sulcata. I live in Tennessee now, but I am moving to Florida as early as January 2012. Probably a little later than that.

So that brings me to question number one. I definitely would like to experience the pleasure of raising a Sulcata or two. Although I wonder in 2 1/2 years or 3 even... how big would it be? Would I already need to provide it an outdoor enclosure or not quite yet?

I am also very intrigued by the Russian and Leopard tortoises. I'm all about the Sulcata, but I'd like to have some tortoises that I don't have to worry about providing an enclosure for and since they only get so big, that's perfect.

Lastly... I have looked in the Middle Tennessee area trying to find some exotic animal rescues at last ditch resort and haven't found anything really. Unfortunately this has become one of those states that invoked laws as far as turtles and tortoises go. Those laws also have gotten misinterpreted beyond being just... you can't have wild caught Tennessee native turtles or tortoises. Seems confusing.

I've seen a few different tortoise breeders online. Can anybody recommend a dealer in particular?

Thanks for you time and I appreciate it.

- Rob

Many if not "most" states ban "native" anything being housed.. unless for a food source. We could have common snappers if we wanted - they get big!

Then again "most" states allow "non-native".. you can be exempt in TN.

Give me a call........

Terry K

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
I used to keep tarantulas too!!! I miss them...so low maintanence and interesting, though not a very personable pet. I had over 30 at one point.

In regards to your tortoise consideration. I have been to TN and the climate is fairly mild there. I would think you would do better with a Manouria emys phayrei. They are the largest Asian tortoise and are no slouch in the size department. They would do better with you humidity and milder temps than a sulcata and are a bit less needy in regards to space. They will make the move to Florida, with consideration of shade and water, possibly outdoor misting, when very hot, and have even been unharmed with temps in the high 30sF as adults. They are easier to feed IMO, not needing all the grasses and doing well on common, broad-leaved weeds, produce, and the right fruits and veggies. I think they are more adaptable to indoor life, if you have the space, also. Look into them...they could use the help of other breeders, since the are in such peril in Asia.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If you want sulcatas, spend your time learning as much as you can, visit people who house them and see what works and what doesnt.. and I would wait till you get moved in, see where you end up and what kind of spcae you have then contac the local rescue and adopt a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.