So livid.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cornelius Or
I left Lou in the care of my "girlfriend" for the weekend while I was gone. She told me she got Lou new stuff and food. Awesome right? Well I get home and he's locked in a cardboard box with no substrate no food no water no shelter no light nothing!!!! So I've corrected everything but I'm curious is this good bedding for him ImageUploadedByTortForum1395614576.210354.jpg

I feel so bad for Lou I'm the worst tort owner in the world right now. Men aren't supposed to cry but I'm near tears for what I did to my little buddy. I can only hope he will forgive me. Please let me know if the bedding she got is ok

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

He won't even eat his favorite treat (cucumber) from my hand anymore :,(

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why did she put him in a box instead of his enclosure? Anyway, the substrate sounds fine to me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't tell from the bag, but if it's coco coir, then yes, its ok bedding.

Being in a dark cardboard box for a few days isn't going to hurt a tortoise. It sounds mean, but there's really nothing wrong with it.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
I also have this for bedding don't know if it's good or not eitherImageUploadedByTortForum1395616257.906836.jpg

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

I don't know why she did what she did. I haven't been able to talk to her about it yet

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

Hjulmgunnar

Montana
Why would anyone do that to a poor tort? I'm livid now too!
The substrate looks fine.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hey if a red foot can live in a locked room for 30 years yours should be fine . She may have been cleaning and forgotten to put him back .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Eco-earth is coconut coir. It's fine,

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Thank you all for you input and encouragement. I felt so terrible for Louger. I was devastated when I came home. I've spent so much time researching and asking questions that I felt like everything was undone. He got a good long soak today and everything is back on track.

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
tffnytorts said:
LoutheRussian said:
"girlfriend"

What's up with the quotes?

Because we are together but not. Basically I'm a sucker with no self esteem so she uses me for a pit stop when she's in town and only calls when she wants something but I fell in love with her when she wasn't this way and haven't been able to cut the ties. :( I know I'm pathetic but it is what it is

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: So livid.

LoutheRussian said:
tffnytorts said:
LoutheRussian said:
"girlfriend"

What's up with the quotes?

Because we are together but not. Basically I'm a sucker with no self esteem so she uses me for a pit stop when she's in town and only calls when she wants something but I fell in love with her when she wasn't this way and haven't been able to cut the ties. :( I know I'm pathetic but it is what it is

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

Hey, don't be so hard on yourself. Call her a few times, assuming she won't pick up, then leave a simple voice mail. That's honestly the best and simplest way. She can't say that you just left her over a message, because you obviously tried by calling, so the blames on her.

Or you can do what I'd do.
A simple text asking someone (a female with a different name) if they would like to go out with you some night. When she protests, a simple "Well you haven't talked to me, and you abused my tort, so I figured you bit the dust. Good bye."
:)

Goof luck either way, whenever you decide upon the right time.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Haha I like the second one but that would start a fight and I don't want confrontation like that even though I'm pretty upset about things but Where I am very much an introvert I like to take care of that type of thing in person. She will be back in a few days (since she has a lot of stuff here) and I'll talk to her about it then. Thank you for telling me not to be so hard on myself but after betraying Lou's trust in me to take care of him and being such a sucker for this girl it's hard not too.

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

Especially since Lou has done so much to lighten my life. It's been a depressing time for me.

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Lou will definitely forgive you after a soak or two and a few good weeds.

Sorry about your situation, I hope you can extract yourself soon!

Meanwhile, Lou is lucky to have you.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Lou and I struggle with soaks. He never seems to wanna be in them. I've got a thermometer and have tried varying temperatures between 80-100 degrees and he always seems to be searching for a way out. :( I keep trying to be the best caregiver I can for him but i feel like I don't do a very good job. Ugh. It's just not my weekend.

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

We were watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Lou was clearly captivated.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1395638189.999789.jpg

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When they try to escape all the time, it can often be traced to one of two things.
1. Enclosure is too small and/or boring. Easy solution. Go big, add some stuff.
2. Temps too hot. You listed two temps. Those two temps are fine if the other two temps are good. 100 is great for the basking spot. 80 is great for the warm side. The cool side should be a little cooler during the day and the night temp should drop a bit. I think its safe to assume that its 100 directly under the basking bulb, but when and where is it 80, and what are your other two temps?

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Tom said:
When they try to escape all the time, it can often be traced to one of two things.
1. Enclosure is too small and/or boring. Easy solution. Go big, add some stuff.
2. Temps too hot. You listed two temps. Those two temps are fine if the other two temps are good. 100 is great for the basking spot. 80 is great for the warm side. The cool side should be a little cooler during the day and the night temp should drop a bit. I think its safe to assume that its 100 directly under the basking bulb, but when and where is it 80, and what are your other two temps?
Thank you Tom for the advice because I a completely new to this and have been just getting his larger home out together. However the temperatures I was referring to are his water temperature during soak time. And I have varied the temperature between 80 and 100 trying all different water temps

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's what I get for not reading carefully enough so late at night... D'oh!

Many tortoises run around like crazy in their soaks. Pretty normal. In time they desensitize and settle down, but it won't hurt them in the mean time.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Tom said:
That's what I get for not reading carefully enough so late at night... D'oh!

Many tortoises run around like crazy in their soaks. Pretty normal. In time they desensitize and settle down, but it won't hurt them in the mean time.

Haha it's quite alright Tom. I really value your opinion and often hope that up will respond to my threads. I always look for a few names to pop up and yours is up at the top. Thank you for taking the time to share your wisdom with someone as new and oblivious to torts as I am. I will stop being so concerned about his running around and let him do his thing.

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
LoutheRussian said:
Lou and I struggle with soaks. He never seems to wanna be in them. I've got a thermometer and have tried varying temperatures between 80-100 degrees and he always seems to be searching for a way out. :( I keep trying to be the best caregiver I can for him but i feel like I don't do a very good job. Ugh. It's just not my weekend.

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

We were watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Lou was clearly captivated.

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

See, you and Lou are already bonding watching TMNT. Just order him some pizza and a skateboard you guys will be best buddies.

Most tortoises try to escape from their soaks, totally normal. Who is to say what the best caregiver is, we all do the best we can, make mistakes and are always improving. You are a member here and care about what is best for Lou. Just keep it up, ask questions and above all, don't give up. Lou will be a great companion for you.