So my torts aren't mating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have a male and a female Greek, and they've been together in the same enclosure for two months now!
And there hasn't been any mating, any sights of fighting or aggression, which I am so thankful for, but shouldn't they have mated at least once by now? Or is it normal for Greeks to coexist happily together?
I honestly wasn't sure?

Thanks for your time!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
From what I have been learning, there is more to breeding than just putting 2 of the opposite sex together.

Enclosure conditions seems to be the greatest influence.

Can you give a run down of your enclosure where they are kept? Include details like indoors/outdoors, size, temperatures, substrate and I'd think enclosure "furniture" too.

Furniture= hides, plants, rocks..etc

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
It also seems that hibernation can play a large role in mating for species that do it (not all greek ssp. do, from what I've heard).

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Well I live in Arizona, so they're outside pretty much all day and night. They have a 10x20 enclosure to romp around in. They mostly eat my grass, but I throw down lots of different types of greens every other day, and both of them gobble that right up. They have two extra large hides (the hollowed out wooden huts you can get from Petsmart type ones) and they temps here have been in the 75-90 range during the day, and about 60-80 during the night :)

I hope this helps!

Sorry, they also have plenty of rocks to sunbath on, which my male normally does!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Outside is great and the space seems adequate.

Now that you've shared these details I'm sure someone with breeding experience will be able to help you further.

Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you watch them 24/7? How do you know they haven't mated at a time when you weren't there?

Some people keep adults of opposite sexes of the same species for years with no babies. Just the way it goes sometimes.

Have you posted pics to confirm the sexes?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I've had tortoises and box turtle live with each other without ever laying eggs or mate, I've had box turtles ill put them together and they will mate within a week. How old are yours? I wouldn't worry about it unless your trying to breed them, in that case adding more females to creat a breeding group is better not only for odds but stress for the females, choices are good lol. Well good luck Greek tortoises are one of my favorite species

Status
Not open for further replies.