So..should a pet store smell so bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertsss

5 Year Member
I have a store that I frequent for bulbs..substrate..etc. As soon as you walk in, the smell is like a punch in the face. This store is a little less than 1,000 sq. feet. They have tortoises, lizards, snakes, turtles, mice, so on and so forth. The animals all seem to have adequate room to move around..so long as not long term, but this is not a very popular store. The same animals have been there since I began going there. There are not UV bulbs on any tanks, only small heating lamps, and only substrate in a few cages/tanks. I am disturbed every time I go in. Even the mice which they sell for food sadden me. They are in a small cage and kind of all climbing over each other, some are even dead. It is a very sad story. However, they have been in business for years. Several reviews I read online all say the same disturbing details.
But the smell is awful. It seems to me that there might be a small odor just because of so many creatures in one spot without much ventilation for the store, but this is just outrageous. I don't know if I should contact someone or not.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Yes, if the conditions are as you say, I would contact the health department first and then your local humane society. With these type conditions perhaps the news media may be interested also.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I strongly agree with Larry. I might also write a letter to the owner and let him know that I was contacting these places and why. It might get them to fix certain things so it's better for the animals. Just a little thought.....next time you go in there remove the top of the mice cage when no one is looking and walk out. Then they can take care of themselves. :D I don't like to see things trapped like that it really makes me very upset.

desertsss

5 Year Member
I am going to take another walk through, so I actually have an entire list of the problems before I make a call. I don't believe I would be the first to call on this store. They probably have had many visits and then just fix what they need to. I am going back there tomorrow. I will update what I see.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Sadly enough this is rather common. If you can get anything done about it, that is awesome.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Call sac city animal control. tell them of your findings. They should be aware of the place and can do a drop in check and welfare check. its possible they have too many animals in a small area to care for properly and ventialtion is not good. maybe an older owner who cant care for the animals anymore, or young employees who dont care enough. maybe they just need some education as well. Animal Control also might not be awre of what exactly to look for as far as quality herp care.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The smell comes from the rodents. Mouse pee, rat pee, guinea pig pee, rabbit pee, etc. is very strong-smelling and if they don't change out the substrate frequently (read "every day") it smells. Sometimes even if they DO change it every day it still smells. If you have mice and rats, there's not much you can do about the smell.

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I was going to say when I saw you were from the Sacramento area to ask Laura, but I see she's already posted an answer for you. I'd do what she suggests since this is her speciality area. Get back with us on what happens next.

desertsss

5 Year Member
Thanks, like I said, I will do another check tomorrow and from there have a list of things to tell people when I make calls. I will def. keep you guys posted. Too disturbing.

Anja

5 Year Member
I used to go to pet store similar to the one in your description (not so much the smell, but the piles of cages, the animals that had been there for years). After a three or so years of going there, it kept getting weirder, so eventually we went another place, but later we found out that the first place was a cover for a drug ring. I don't know how often this happens, but I would be suspicious of this place.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Anja said:
later we found out that the first place was a cover for a drug ring. I don't know how often this happens, but I would be suspicious of this place.

So we should look in the brown bag of feeders before leaving and get stopped on the way home.:(

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
emysemys said:
The smell comes from the rodents. Mouse pee, rat pee, guinea pig pee, rabbit pee, etc. is very strong-smelling and if they don't change out the substrate frequently (read "every day") it smells. Sometimes even if they DO change it every day it still smells. If you have mice and rats, there's not much you can do about the smell.

Yvonne

Mine aren't smelly! But definitely a pet store that keeps 10 or so rats in a 20 gallon tank (standard in what stores I've been in) is going to create quite a fowl odor. Not to mention disease and myco outbreaks :(

SunsetHypo

5 Year Member
I use to have a black throat monitor lizard and crickets were very important to its diet. I tried to buy them in bulk, but i could not stand the smell. Crickets are a very stinky bug and when places breed them they house thousands. Its very possible that ONE of the things you are smelling are the crickets. Just a thought.

Gary

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
It amazes me that people buy crickets. There are thousands in my backyard, and more than enough in my house. How much do they cost?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, but so much easier to go to the store and plunk down a buck or two for a dozen or so crickets. I've tried to smash crickets before they could start serenading me to sleep, and its not easy. They move pretty fast.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Shelly said:
It amazes me that people buy crickets. There are thousands in my backyard, and more than enough in my house. How much do they cost?

8-25 for $1, depending on the size and the store.

Dawna

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
webskipper said:
Anja said:
later we found out that the first place was a cover for a drug ring. I don't know how often this happens, but I would be suspicious of this place.

So we should look in the brown bag of feeders before leaving and get stopped on the way home.:(
So that is why mice cost 250$ there? I always wondered.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
emysemys said:
Yeah, but so much easier to go to the store and plunk down a buck or two for a dozen or so crickets. I've tried to smash crickets before they could start serenading me to sleep, and its not easy. They move pretty fast.

In the past year of living in my current apartment, we have gotten a few crickets that made their way into our bedroom. I've been fortunate enough to trap them all though under a glass [after a bit of work of course], and release them outside...Only to see them trying to come back inside :p Yeah..those little guys can MOVE.

Status
Not open for further replies.