so THAT'S why they call them blue whales

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
My wife and I went on another whale watching cruise yesterday. We also went in March and saw many Gray whales, single males, mom's with babies, and whole pods of 6 to 8 animals. Big excitement, even for the boat captain, to see so many on any one cruise.

We went again about a month ago, and so hundreds of common dolphins, huge groups of 40 to 50, racing along side the boat as a break from hunting the fish in massive schools, also visible from the ship. Here the most fun was seeing the babies race with their mom's in the ship's wake. They project so much thrill that everyone on the ship seems to find themselves surrounded by some un-certain overwhelming happiness. That trip we did not see any whales at all, in the sense of the big guys.

Yesterday we went out again. WOW, they are huge, we saw 2 Fin whales and maybe 6-8 Blues. After the Grays the Fins looked big, as they cruise along just below the surface catching quick breaths. The have big dorsal fins, and look black in the water. One even gave us a good fluke view just as it dove.

Those blues though, you can see them several feet below the surface. Something about their skin reflects sun light back up, out of the water, so it looks light a blue light is running through the water. It's like a blue whale size halo of light in the water as they skim just below the surface, you can see it at three or four times the distance from the ship as you would for the Fin or Grays.

The spout when it wafts over you is not a desirable smell, but most make rainbows, so it's not so bad. They seem to not mind the ships at all, even with how regular the encounters are. Some appear to want to see the people as much as the people want to see them. A good exchange of curiosity.

One let lose with a mighty crap of krill waste. A neon red accumulation of excess pigment from that diet. Seagulls wasted no time letting it get away, and flocked to this 'snack'.

Whale watching sounds sorta mundane, like do you really see them? Well, yes you do, and it's incredible, give it a try when you can.

This is what might be considered the fall color of San Diego, mighty blue halos of whale swimming in the ocean.

Will

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very disappointing that you didn't think to take pictures to share with us. :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Whale watching mundane? Never. I could spend my life on the oceans watching any sea life. Whales are the next thing I want to see. We didn't have much luck when we went off of Hawaii a couple years ago:(. It sounds like you have had some great outings. Pictures would have been very nice:D.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Re: RE: so THAT'S why they call them blue whales

Yvonne G said:

Cameras can not capture a feeling Yvonne. If the image in you mind's eye does not work from my description, you are welcome to come see for yourself, my treat.

Do the images of the mighty sequia come anywhere close to seeing the static giants trees, now consider the insult a pictures from my cell might do for a living moving giant whale.

All life can not be a vacuous computer emulation, the fall colors of the northeast loose much, if you can't also smell the air.

I "thought" to take pictures, but really, it just wouldn't do justice.

Will

Will said:
Yvonne G said:

Cameras can not capture a feeling Yvonne. If the image in you mind's eye does not work from my description, you are welcome to come see for yourself, my treat.

Do the images of the mighty sequia come anywhere close to seeing the static giants, now consider the insult a pictures from my cell might do for a living moving giant whale.

All life can not be a vacuous computer emulation, the fall colors of the northeast loose much, if you can't also smell the air.

I "thought" to take pictures, but really, it just wouldn't do justice.

Will

Sent from my SGH-T889 using TortForum mobile app

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Hi Laura,

We went out of San Diego bay for the grays, and Mission bay for the others.

They told us humpbacks are not so common to see in this area, though sightings were up for the season for humpbacks. They also reported a few killer whale sightings for the season too.

The whales are cool for sure, but they don't project the infectious excitement of the dolphins.

My wife saw humpbacks in Hawaii a few years ago. They approached the boat and held their head up out of the water several meters away eyeballing the people on board.

I think that would trump the dolphins.

Will

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
grays? it isn't early for them? They pass here in Jan... then back north in April May...
Monterey Bay is whale soup rightnow! Anchovies... see the link I posted...

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
In Hawaii we went whale watching numerous times. Our boat was even nudged by a few young males. We saw tons of babies and interesting behaviors within 50 yards of the boat (or should I say 20 foot zodiac?) such as spyhopping, pec slapping, logging, lobtailing, and charging each other over females. It was very impressive. We were most often sitting duck without any motor going due to regulations for the whale's safety and were very glad none breached super close! Definitely an experience though and I'd love to see the blue whales one of these days.