So Uvb bulb yes or no for elongated?

~Sydney~

5 Year Member
I am in central U.S. and intend to use a che for heat for a hatchling but do I require lighting? I would think a uvb tube might be too bright? Also, I am reading "humid environment". How humid? I intend to use damp coconut fiber bedding and a soaking dish. I have a sulcata and am well versed in their care. This baby seems like he's the opposite, lol. I'm getting it March first and it is a baby.

As for diet can they do Mazuri tortoise food? I read what little I can find...thanks!

~Sydney~

5 Year Member
I'm good on the sulcata, this is the elongated tortoise section but thank you I use the reptisun for my sulcata. I was looking for info on an elongated baby hatching.

~Sydney~

5 Year Member
Oh I'm sorry, I read that wrong. I see what you mean. Great because I have a 5.0 in my Amazon cart. Thanks!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Oh I'm sorry, I read that wrong. I see what you mean. Great because I have a 5.0 in my Amazon cart. Thanks!
The 5.0 is just as bright at the 10.0 tube. So if it's brightness you are concerned about, there is no difference. The difference is the 5.0 put out 1/2 the amount of UVB. And since UVB strength diminishes geometrically with distance, it is normally pretty hard to get a 5.0 giving much UVB to the tortoise. I personally would go with more UVB as "forest" tortoises are not direct baskers for the most part. They rely on reflected UVB while lying in the edges of cover. And, as you have found out with your sulcata, high humidity is a requirement of all tortoises, especially while young.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I use 10.0 HO bulbs for my elongated, but provide a lot of plant cover and hides. Since they spend most of the day hidden, I feel the times they do come out they should have accessible uvb. I go with high output bulbs and lots of cover because that seems the closest to natural conditions as I can get. If I lived in a climate where they spent most of the year outside, I wouldn't worry as much.

When my RH drops below 70%, I see watery eyes. 70-100% is what I maintain.

They'll eat Mazuri, but it's not a complete diet. Fruit, mushrooms, and animal protein (red wigglers, pinky nice, and whole boiled eggs are favourites here) should be provided too. Fresh leafy plant matter should be in the mix too - the same weeds you feed your sulcata will work here.

~Sydney~

5 Year Member
I use 10.0 HO bulbs for my elongated, but provide a lot of plant cover and hides. Since they spend most of the day hidden, I feel the times they do come out they should have accessible uvb. I go with high output bulbs and lots of cover because that seems the closest to natural conditions as I can get. If I lived in a climate where they spent most of the year outside, I wouldn't worry as much.

When my RH drops below 70%, I see watery eyes. 70-100% is what I maintain.

They'll eat Mazuri, but it's not a complete diet. Fruit, mushrooms, and animal protein (red wigglers, pinky nice, and whole boiled eggs are favourites here) should be provided too. Fresh leafy plant matter should be in the mix too - the same weeds you feed your sulcata will work here.

Great, thank you. I buy a LOT of spring mix and grow and forage during spring and summer. It seems the tortoise is 2 so thankfully not a hatchling. I much prefer an established tort.