So, who else flushes?

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
I know, catchy title for a plumber. I couldn't resist.....but the subject has nothing to do with "plumbing".

Who else flushes information b/c of the "next" project or a met deadline has been reached so you just flush all that info and move on to the next thing or the next project? I know some of you guys have or have had more intense jobs than mine that require doing the same so I'm sure I'm not alone. I would guess this mostly applies to folks that work but who knows?

If you do;

Do you find difficulty remembering things in your personal life that could be attributed to that work-habit spilling over? Forgetting for instance that you had dinner with friends from Florida a month earlier while you happen to be discussing those friends with your sweetheart? When she reminds me, I remember instantly but it's almost like I flushed the event from my mind.

I am wondering if there is a parallel between forgetting things now and the chosen habit of mentally flushing project information for the past 40 yrs at work? Some of our large pjts have 20,000 pages of docs of which I may read 4000, in a weeks time. There is a cost associated with not reading them but since I've never risked having someone come back to me screaming "It was right there in the gd specifications!", I have no idea what value of that mistake is but on those big ones, it's more than we make! LOL

The point is,
We learn so much information about a project, then have to "flush the drive" to make room for the next project and in my business, it's no real advantage to retaining it, you'll just get projects and specifications mixed up when you hit "overload" and you will at some point. I'm not the only chief estimator that does this. If I need "recall" a year later, I check my pad of notes for that project and somehow, most of it magically reappears in my mind.

So part of me wonders out loud...am I searching for vindication that I'm not headed south mentally or am I indeed viewing the glass from a different perspective, which would be growth for me?

So, to close the loop on this and look at it from the other end....now that I'm done doing that for work, can I retrain myself to remember everything?

Hmmmmm- don't know if I should say this cause some of you will get big heads like me....but since in my opinion, this is one of the sharpest yet most socioeconomically varied groups I've ever been part of so I'm curious what you guys think?

EricW

Houston, TX
Do you find difficulty remembering things in your personal life that could be attributed to that work-habit spilling over?
Yes. However, I also attribute it to how busy our lives our and how much distraction we have. We rarely are "in the moment" or present anymore. We are always doing or thinking of something else and thus impacting our memory. Usually if we can declutter our lives and be present, our memory comes back and so does our capacity to retain.

There was a book I read that I liked on this topic, "Love People, Use Things." We tend to be the opposite without realizing it and all that clutter of things leads to some real big issues.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am 78 years old and my short term memory is mostly gone. I am medically retired and this sucks. The neurologist says it's because of the concussions and TBI's. The Doctors are making a rather large fuss as I am taking drugs to enrich my memory, but it is only getting worse. Frankly, it's damned embarrassing, but there's nothing to be done. In coming home from Texas, I got lost a few miles away from my sister's house and had to call her for help. A couple of weeks ago I couldn't start my car. Driving the same car for 33 years, and there I sit. No cell phone and miles away from home. Had to push it out of a crowded intersection. Crap!!! Went into a store and the clerk let me use her phone. Called my mechanic...L tell his girl my car is dead and she says (24 yrs old) " I mean no disrespect, Miss Maggie, but did you use the kill switch?" Son of a bit*h!!! I hang my head in shame, and go start my car. It irritates my son but it scares the hell outta me.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I am 78 years old and my short term memory is mostly gone. I am medically retired and this sucks. The neurologist says it's because of the concussions and TBI's. The Doctors are making a rather large fuss as I am taking drugs to enrich my memory, but it is only getting worse. Frankly, it's damned embarrassing, but there's nothing to be done. In coming home from Texas, I got lost a few miles away from my sister's house and had to call her for help. A couple of weeks ago I couldn't start my car. Driving the same car for 33 years, and there I sit. No cell phone and miles away from home. Had to push it out of a crowded intersection. Crap!!! Went into a store and the clerk let me use her phone. Called my mechanic...L tell his girl my car is dead and she says (24 yrs old) " I mean no disrespect, Miss Maggie, but did you use the kill switch?" Son of a bit*h!!! I hang my head in shame, and go start my car. It irritates my son but it scares the hell outta me.
Sorry to hear of your troubles, Maggie.

What medication are you taking for the memory loss? My wife had to have 10 full brain radiation treatments for 20+ inoperable cancers in her brain, and her neuro-oncologist prescribed a drug called Memantine for her because he said the treatments would cause her to lose her memory. Perhaps it might help you as well (if that is not what you are currently taking).

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
It has to be both frightening and embarrassing Mags. I feel bad for you. You are also old as dirt honey.....LOL.....congrats, I will likely never get there so there's your "revenge" on me!
Of course I hear that you have an OLDER sister so there's lots of fun to be had there too! I know, I have THREE of them! LOL

In my teens and 20's, I always said the only thing worse than getting old, like 50 and wishing I had done all the things that you had a chance to do but didn't, would be not being able to remember the awesome things that I did! THAT is exactly what I'm afraid of.

I appreciate everyone's comments and I've seen plenty of times where folks were just overloaded to the point of forgetting. It's something I watch for with the guys.

Separate thread on google Y......LOL

I am seeing a very different perspective on life as Eric notes, I begin "decluttering" and maybe the exercise will help as well. It is pretty frickin wonderful though...a sense of calm that "Mr. Wrapped so tight" never had before.....very cool!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What's this thread about again???