1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Soaking 3 yr Old Ibera Greek

Discussion in 'Greek tortoises' started by Chloe_1102, Sep 24, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Chloe_1102

Chloe_1102 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Indiana
    Hazel is a 3 year old Ibera Greek. She seems happy and healthy, eating regularly and stomping all over the place. Already a whopping 8 inches long and feels like a dang brick.

My question is: at 3 years old, should I be soaking her regularly? Every day when I change her water dish (large clay plant saucer) she crawls right into it, drinks, and soaks for about 5 minutes. She then proceeds to pee and poop in it, forcing me to change it again (sick little game she likes to play). Because of this daily routine and her age, I haven’t been soaking her. Any words of wisdom?
  2. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member Tortoise Club

Location (City and/or State):
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Sounds like she's got it covered. During the summer, I will soak my leopards or add a sprinkler to their yard when it gets really hot, those unusual temps, as mine will also going into its water bowls, I have 3 bowls.
    If a tortoise doesn't self soak then they should be soak at the age of yours or older at least once a month in the summer.