Soaking and high humidity preventing pyramiding

rearlpettway

Hello,
I am aware that soaking and high humidity prevents pyramiding.
Do you need to soak if the humidity is high?
Do soaking and high humidity work together to prevent pyramiding or are they doing separate things?
Thank you in advance[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Rodney Earl Pettway

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have tried various combinations of things to see if I can more closely pinpoint exactly what is preventing the pyramiding. Anytime I try to cut back on any of the three things, I start to see the tell tell signs. The three things are:
1. Daily soaks for small ones.
2. Ambient humidity around 80% and a humid hide.
3. Shell spraying 3-4 times a day, or more.

I'm only talking about sulcatas and leopards here. I thing the same principals apply to other species too, but I have not applied them enough to say so definitively.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
I have tried various combinations of things to see if I can more closely pinpoint exactly what is preventing the pyramiding. Anytime I try to cut back on any of the three things, I start to see the tell tell signs. The three things are:
1. Daily soaks for small ones.
2. Ambient humidity around 80% and a humid hide.
3. Shell spraying 3-4 times a day, or more.

I'm only talking about sulcatas and leopards here. I thing the same principals apply to other species too, but I have not applied them enough to say so definitively.

I agree with Tom. The first year or two of life is really when all 3 techniques should be carried out daily if possible.
Soaking insures proper internal hydration(digestive organs and such). Humidity insures skin/eye/shell moisture content remains at healthy levels. And shell spraying insure that all scutes of the tortoise(especially the vertebral) get the proper moisture to grow without being stunted in anyway.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Glad I just read this! I will be adding shell spraying 3-4 times daily. Did not realize that it needed to be done. Hope it helps Milo's early pyramiding. Everything else, I am already doing. THANKS!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to use RO water or collected rainwater. Tap or well water will usually leave hard water stains. Its not harmful, but I find it unsightly.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
I have a spray bottle with treated de-chlorinated tap water...will that be ok to spray the shell with? Or is the RO water or collected rainwater still the best?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No need to dechlorinate it and it will serve its function just fine, but you might start to get hard water stains on the shell over time.