Soaking for more than 3 hours.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
@Will is right. It is a Yellow-Footed tortoise, Chelonoidis denticulatus which occur naturally on Trinidad. The Red-Footed tortoise, Chelonoidis carbonarius was introduced to the island.
Cucumber is basically water. He may be somewhat dehydrated from his wandering and hence the time spent in the water and preference for the cucumber.

Last edited:

SSSaunders

Location (City and/or State)
San Fernando
Thank you @domalle, so I guess just leave him to soak as long as he wants to, yes?

Latest update: He is now enjoying watermelon and cucumbers, I tried him with pears and apples he is refusing. Got him to take a little calcium, @ColaCarbonaria I will get the cuttlebone tomorrow God willing when stores are open. I am going to try him with some spinach next. I blended the cucumbers and mixed it in with the dog chow @ColaCarbonaria he picked at it a little and walked away but I am not giving up.

ColaCarbonaria

Pensacola, Florida
Ok so spinach isn’t a great green for them. Th easiest and cheapest would be picking weeds from a place that hasn’t been sprayed w pesticides. Check th diet page for some great threads on edible weeds. But a cpl are dandelion, hawksbit, hawkbeak, mallow, clover. Then use th purée cucumber to cover those items. Use th cucumber as th bait to eat th greens. Use cucumber and forget th dog food for now. Maybe you have a mango tree or papaya? Bit of fruit might be tempting...

SSSaunders

San Fernando
@ColaCarbonaria .. I am not sure what those are, I will do my research and as long as I can locate them I will. I checked out the link and I have noticed most people post pics before feeding to be sure it is safe, so I am going to try that myself because I am not very educated on different type of weeds. I am literally a modern day girl, garden and anything garden related is not my forte. Mango and papaya yessssssss we have lots of those!

@ZEROPILOT .. Hibiscus yessssssssssss... Loads of those available so imma get cracking, I also noticed the thread that @ColaCarbonaria advised me to read has rose flowers and leaves as safe also and yesssssssss lots of those avail as well, so I'm gonna get some of all those I have avail. He is showing interest in lettuce, so his "appreciating" diet has gone up to three items now: Water melon, Cucumber, Lettuce. We getting there.

SSSaunders

San Fernando
Thank you @ZEROPILOT

Glad to know that. He has finally started pooping in his soaking water, what a relief. Even that was a concern for me because from other research it seem like something natural and supposed to happen but it never happened until yesterday.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Hi all my baby tort Ralph has gone into his water bowl and been soaking in there for more than 3 hours now, I am worried. Is that normal and can anyone tell me what kind of tort he is? He just walked into out garage one day and he became a new family member.View attachment 250816
Very cute. Looks like a yellow foot. Welcome to the Forum. It’s all good here. You’ll get the right answers to your questions from the experts.