Soaking in baby food?

turtleowner4

I heard that you could soak your box turtle in baby food, but how would I do that? Just add the baby food to water?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is only needed for sick ones that are not eating.

You would add a jar of baby food to the soaking water. Carrots or yams seem to work best.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Why are you asking? Is your box turtle sick?

We use strained sweet potatoes, carrots or squash because it has a high vitamin A content. And the only reason we use it at all is because a turtle/tortoise's eyes are swollen shut.

Baby food is for humans, not turtles and tortoises. It should not be used willy nilly. It is like giving a sick person his medicine. It is medicine for a vitamin A deficiency. And that's all.

Do not use human baby food for turtles and tortoises that are not sick.

turtleowner4

I have a little box turtle that is not eating that well and looks like he is losing some weight. He seems to still be a little active and I don't see any runny nose or anything. Any idea what I can do to get him to eat or gain some weight back? It's concerning me. Someone else told me soaking him in baby food might help but I haven't done that cause I wasn't sure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Little box turtles need to be soaked in warm water every day because they dehydrate very easily. They also prefer to eat live food - worms, pin head crickets, etc. I chop up fruits and veggies/greens into very small pieces, make a bed of it on a plastic lid, then I put worms or pin head crickets on top of the pile. The baby box turtles will get a taste of the food when he bites at the worm, and eventually they'll eat the fruits and veggies as well as the live foods.

The most common cause of a turtle/tortoise not eating is that he isn't warm enough. So re-check your temperatures and make sure he's in a warm (at least 80F) habitat, soak him daily, and offer him live food.

M

Maggie Cummings

Little box turtles need to be soaked in warm water every day because they dehydrate very easily. They also prefer to eat live food - worms, pin head crickets, etc. I chop up fruits and veggies/greens into very small pieces, make a bed of it on a plastic lid, then I put worms or pin head crickets on top of the pile. The baby box turtles will get a taste of the food when he bites at the worm, and eventually they'll eat the fruits and veggies as well as the live foods.

The most common cause of a turtle/tortoise not eating is that he isn't warm enough. So re-check your temperatures and make sure he's in a warm (at least 80F) habitat, soak him daily, and offer him live food.

you give such good advice...