soaking pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
With the weather being so HOT & HUMID here in San Diego the last few weeks, I've caught Ralph trying to soak in his water dish. It isn't very deep, it's a terracota plant base....maybe about an inch or so deep. I want to get him something a little deeper so he can soak in a "pool". I know it can't be too deep, but was wondering what you suggest. I run the hose on him a few times a day when he's out. I just don't want him getting dehydrated. He shows no sign of it now, and I want to keep it that way.

I put a rubbermaid lid in his enclosure and filled it up. Only, it's about as deep as his water dish. I want something big enough for him to completely get himself into. He's about 15 inches from the tip of his head to the end of his shell. He's about 12 inches across.

Unfortunately, I can't dig to make him a cement pool. We are in military housing and can't make "changes" to the property. I can dig a bit to put something on top of it, though. Just as I did with his water dish... I dug a bit down so the water dish sits flush with the ground.

He really LIKES the slip-n-slide when he's out in the yard. He "bathes" in the puddle and splashes all around.

Thanks for any suggestions!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
What about a kiddie pool with part of the side cut out if necessary (those thin plastic hard ones)? You can get something deep and cut it down on one side like a big Rubbermaid. Just make sure the ends aren't sharp to cut his skin...you can even sand plastic with some rough sandpaper to smooth it out. Hope you find something. That's great you are making sure he's hydrated. Some torts also love sprinklers.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
In one of my pens i have a garbage can lid that is dug slightly down into the ground. At some hardware stores you can get them really cheap since lids and cans were miss matched or sold without.

Status
Not open for further replies.